Perugina Chocolate Tour

Search

Perugina Chocolate Tour

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perugina Chocolate Tour

Has anyone taken the tour given at the Perugina Chocolate factory in San Sisto, near Perugia. If so, any details for booking the tour, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:32 AM

ttt
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM

As far as I can make out from the Italian Web site (no English version), the factory cannot be visited. Adjoining the factory, however, is a Museum of Chocolate

http://www.perugina.it/museo_pag01.htm

(Visitors are welcomed with a selection of Perugina chocolates.)

The number to call for information about the museum is 075/5276796.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Eloise. I can't even look at their website without wanting chocolate! Somewhere, I read that they do give wonderful tours (that end with a pound of free chocolate-yum!) I'd like to be able to contact them via email, rather than phone. If all else fails, I can arrange it when I get to Perugia.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:42 PM

Found this old thread and wondered whether any of you actually managed to tour the Perugia chocolate factory and what is the info I need for that?

Thanks
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 03:28 AM

I used to live in San Sisto and had a view of the factory out my back window. Every morning you could smell the chocolate. It was just mean.

The museum is always open. I think they do factory tours during the Eurochocolate festival that is held in Perugia every year.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 04:30 AM

nnolen - thanks for the reply. The museum though is not the factory where the chocolate is actually made. I am interested in a tour there. I am going to just miss the Chocolate Festival by about 2 weeks, can't help it, so hope to be able to visit the factory when I am there.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Hi - I think they have daily tours, maybe a couple per day in different languages. You can only go into the factory with the tour, but the museum is open at other times. We tried to go on a tour, but arrived late. They did show us the video of the history of the company (I did not know that it is owned by the company that owns Nestle's). We walked through the museum but all the signs were in Italian, so I didn't get too much out of it. They also let us sample the chocolates - they were excellent. You can also buy the candy in bulk. Call them while you are there to ask for tour times. I'm not really sure it is worth the trouble and time to get there if you don't go on the tour, IMHO.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Flame:

Any hotel will help you with this while in Perugia. We stayed at the wonderful Fortuna, top of the hill right near Corso Vanucci ...they immediately mentioned the Museum and we got all the information from the concierge. Aside from this, Perugina delights were all over town...one in particular has a bright red awning on Vanucci. For chocolate freaks, this is near heaven.
Happy visit for you..

Stu T.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 03:22 AM

Flame -
The museum is indeed attached to the factory.

I just double checked and on this website
http://www.umbriaonline.com/museo_st...perugina.phtml

it states that the museum includes a tour into the factory, a product tasting, and the museum itself as well as a chance to buy chocolates. It also notes that if you want a tour in English or you want to enter the factory, you should call and reserve ahead of time. Phone number: 39.075.5276796

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:23 AM

My experience was that we could spend all the time we wanted in the museum but it did not include any tour. I looked at the above link and it makes the museum look very big! It was basically a room off the reception area with photos on the walls and the big bacio - which was impressive! We did get to sample some chocolate though. I agree it would be best to reserve a spot on the tour and have your hotel do that for you when you get there.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies. I look forward to a very chocolate-y visit !!!