Goodies from Home

Apr 17th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Goodies from Home

Hey Everyone, thought I would post this survey for all travelerís to take,its about foods/drinks etc from your home country you would love to get their hands on. This topic has always been interesting to me through out all my international travels so I thought it would be fun to find out about everyone else craves!
I hope it brings back some memories of those products we all seem to yern for when away from home. Have fun!!

How old are you?

You are male / female

What country do you come from?

What country / city are you in now?

How long have you been traveling?

How long do you plan to stay traveling?

If friends or family were to send a rescue package with confectionary or other foods from your home country to you, what goodies would you like to get?

Have you looked around in stores for any of these products?

Did you find any? If yes where?

Would you purchase any of these goods if they were available where you are staying, be it hostel/hotel/resort?

Do you believe hostels/hotels/resorts etc should have international goodies available to purchase?

If international goods could be delivered to your accommodation would you bother ordering them via a web site?

In days or weeks, how long could you hold out on your cravings?

Thanks again guys, I hope it has been fun!

Kind Regards,

Dan
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:39 PM

IMHO this is a very WEIRD first post. By any chance are you researching for some article or book?? Seems odd for someone to register just to post a "survey"
Apr 17th, 2007, 08:41 PM

after reading it again - no, you aren't researching for an article - just doing some silly market research . . . . .
Apr 17th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

no not market research, but intresting to see where people are and what they miss, thats all,no business relationship what so ever. but if you dont want to do it....dont. sorry it took 2 posts to say your not doing it.
I hope others find it as an intresting topic as I do
Apr 17th, 2007, 10:15 PM

Yep, reading this post felt like another intrusive, pesky dinner time phone call. thereyet
Apr 17th, 2007, 11:04 PM

I got it! You are a college student, marketing major, finals comming up, paper due soon, must find ready population to survey quick or you fail the class. should have done your homework but went wild on spring break instead. I feel for ya, thereyet
Apr 17th, 2007, 11:50 PM

Spring break??

On the upside it does appear that Actiondan isn't sleeping through his/her vacation

How old are you? - not telling

You are male / female - Your guess?

Try some research on this board and you will discover where I'm from

What country / city are you in now? Same answer as above

How long have you been traveling
Probably longer than you have been born

until I die

If friends or family were to send a rescue package with confectionary or other foods from your home country to you, what goodies would you like to get?
Smarties

Yes but I'm too cheap

My Mom sent me some.

Would you purchase any of these goods if they were available where you are staying, be it hostel/hotel/resort? Hmmm....

Do you believe hostels/hotels/resorts etc should have international goodies available to purchase?
Nope, if you're traveling and you think you're going miss food from home take it with you but you should try to eat the local food - a lot cheaper

If international goods could be delivered to your accommodation would you bother ordering them via a web site?
Have done so in the past

5 years and counting

BTW - I agree with janis and I trust her ideas/thoughts since I have read many posts with her offering valuable input for travelers with serious questions - you however, Actiondan need to prove yourself before you will receive serious answers to your question.

Troll?

Apr 18th, 2007, 01:46 AM

This same message has been posted over in several different areas of the LonelyPlanet forum too. He's getting the same sort of response there too.

Actiondan, you must think we are all really stupid. The daft thing is, that if you had been honest about your motives, I'm sure a lot of people would have taken your survey. But treating us like morons has resulted in all this backfiring horribly for you, hasn't it.
Apr 18th, 2007, 08:47 AM

How old are you?
Old enough

You are male / female
Yes

Conception? Birth? Herritage? Grew Up in/ Lived longest? - All different

What country / city are you in now?
As I type or where I live?

How long have you been traveling?
Since before birth (see answer above re conception)

Always traveling - even if within own home

Which home country?

Yes

Yes - Everywhere

Would you purchase any of these goods if they were available where you are staying, be it hostel/hotel/resort?
Maybe

Perhaps

Perhaps

Craving for what

I hope this exercise has made you appreciate that there is more to survey design than asking a series of questions
Jun 5th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Alva: I had to laugh when you said Smarties. When my grandson was four he couldn't say his S's; they all came out like F's. And Smarties were his favorite candy, so he would constantly ask us if he could please have some "farties". And of course his older siblings had a ball with that one, each trying to outdo the other with rude sound effects!
Jun 6th, 2007, 11:06 AM

Oh, I'll have a go at this.

How old are you? Younger than the sun, older than the moon.

You are male / female - depends on what clothes I feel like putting on today.

What country do you come from? Artists have no country.

What country / city are you in now? Is this a trick question?

How long have you been traveling? My whole life.

How long do you plan to stay traveling? 'til I drop dead.

If friends or family were to send a rescue package with confectionary or other foods from your home country to you, what goodies would you like to get? Is this if I was stranded on an island or...?

Have you looked around in stores for any of these products? What products?

Did you find any? If yes where? Another trick question!

Would you purchase any of these goods if they were available where you are staying, be it hostel/hotel/resort? What goods are we talking about?

Do you believe hostels/hotels/resorts etc should have international goodies available to purchase? I say, support the local economy and buy local.

If international goods could be delivered to your accommodation would you bother ordering them via a web site? - Wait, what happened to that rescue package family and friends would have been sending me?

In days or weeks, how long could you hold out on your cravings? - hey, don't forget about the months! What a silly survey.
Jun 6th, 2007, 11:43 AM

actiondan'

Thanks for your post, I had a really good laugh. I'll chuckle the rest of the day.
Jun 6th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Action, Dan, should at least at times be preceded by thinking, Dan....
Jun 7th, 2007, 03:51 PM

This post is probably about a century too late. I think the overwhelming desire for home cooking disappeared with the era of the Grand Tour, when people were gone for months at a time and you couldn't find a pizza or hamburger on every hotel menu.
Jun 7th, 2007, 04:14 PM

How old are you? Who wants to know ?

You are male / female Last time I was asked that question I was a female

What country do you come from? Europe (hey, many people thinks it's a country!)

What country / city are you in now? I have just told you I'm in Europe..I can't move so fast, really...

How long have you been traveling? Too much time..I'm not in the mood to sum it up....

How long do you plan to stay traveling? Forever and ever

Do you think they are rich??

Have you looked around in stores for any of these products? Yes, everyday

Did you find any? If yes where? Sure, my searching skills are good. But I can't tell you where, it's a secret...

No, I will try something new, I'm fed up of those goods.

Do you believe hostels/hotels/resorts etc should have international goodies available to purchase? What are international goodies ? Kellogs ??

If international goods could be delivered to your accommodation would you bother ordering them via a web site? Hey, are you asking me for my credit card number ? !!!

In days or weeks, how long could you hold out on your cravings? I don't have such a thing, I'm strong !
Jun 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM

I like to oreos in my umderwear. (That doesn't sound right.)
Jun 9th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Interesting. Today's answers are different than yesterday's. Tesco and Carrefour stock almost everything formerly unavailable except from the USA. A few items are missing: Hershey chocolate products, Nestle chocolate chips, Campbell soups, paper plates and heavy duty aluminum foil. The great USA Sunday papers are missing too. I bet that today's USA traveler will miss less in Europe than a European traveler in the USA will miss.
Jun 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM

actiondan, it's more polite to introduce yourself before you ask a bunch of personal questions.
Jun 18th, 2007, 01:22 AM

Another suggestion...pecans!
Jun 18th, 2007, 01:47 AM

I live in Lausanne and Nestle HQ is 15 minutes away in Vevey and we don't have Nestle chocolate bits here! To make CC cookies I have to buy a couple of dark chocolate bars and break them up.

Search this Thread