Personal Security

Search

Personal Security

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personal Security

Is there anything better than a 'travel vest'?
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 09:57 AM

Question...what do you mean by personal security? Attacks? Pickpockets?
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Security sounds like you're expecting to be shot. If that's the case - I would pick another vacation destination.

If you mean how to avoid pickpockets - just keep a good watch and secure hold on your belongings, and don;t make any of the standard tourist mistakes (pulling out your wallet in the middle of a crowd, letting go of your purse or luggage - or packing onto already mobbed buses or trains).
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Just to let you know that in Europe a "travel vest" lets EVERYONE know that you are a tourist.It announces you to the public as you are walking down the street not to mention that you look like you are trying to fly fish in the middle of a duomo.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:32 PM

Just to let you know that in Europe <i>everything about you</i> lets EVERYONE know that you are a tourist. It announces you to the public as you are walking down the street.

Get over not wanting to &quot;look like a tourist&quot; and enjoy the view.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Ropespierre-I respectfully said that in terms of security and being robbed,etc.To me, its like women with backpack purses hung over their shoulders and then being surprised to see they lost their wallets.
I am at the point in my life and flying career that I have seen all shapes,sizes and outfits-nothing surprises me what people wear these days.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 08:40 PM

after many warnings from my uber paranoid coworker, telling me not to even take my purse to europe at all, warning that my husband's over the shoulder laptop bag would be cut off from his body, that i should wear my passport around my neck under my shirt at all times, etc., i'm happy to report that i took my purse, he took his bag, and my passport remained in my purse and all was fine, no theft, no attempted thefts or muggings, etc.

just be aware of your belongings and your surroundings.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:52 PM

I am always more concerned about losing my money, passport, valuables, etc than about having them stolen. I wonder what the different proportions are of accidental loss and theft?

If your concern is pickpocketing and robbery, then it would be best to avoid the most touristy destinations and go to the vast number of other interesting sites in Europe where there is no such danger.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 12:02 AM

What IS a travel vest? In my invariably safe part of France we don't come across these.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 01:17 AM

I assume a travel vest is a bit like a photographers vest? Lots of pockets all over the place?
If so they are something you tend to see on gentlemen of a certain age, not necessarily tourists. They seem to mysteriously appear in mens wardrobes about the same time as hair starts vanishing from the tops of their heads and starts sprouting from their noses an ears

Seriously though, as a photographer (without vest) I see nothing wrong with them, though I'm not sure they are worn for security so much as convenience. I sometimes curse not having enough pockets for camera gear when I'm out, but I'd rather spend my money on other photogrpahy gear then on a vest.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 02:13 AM

I prefer this brand of travel vest http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagen:...e-p1000557.jpg
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Security? Personal possesions. Safety? Personal health.
A travel vest need be no more than a simple waist coat worn under an outer jacket or coat. Its purpose is to eliminate the need for a purse or back pack. It will also free up both arms. Note now, travellers and such striding about with a set of keys in one hand and a pocket phone in the other.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 02:46 AM

lobo_mau you are very naughty
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 02:51 AM

Yes, I am. My name says it all.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 03:34 AM

Is there anything better than a 'travel vest'?

Yes, eating a hot croissant while overlooking the sea.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 03:36 AM

Lobo
prefer this brand of travel vest http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imagen:...e-p1000557.jpg

While this is preferable, it is such a bother at airport security. Taking off the mail, putting on the gauntlets. You know.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 08:56 AM

<i>...my passport remained in my purse and all was fine, no theft, no attempted thefts or muggings, etc.</i>

It's a crap shoot. You won. Congratulations.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 09:09 AM

A &quot;travel vest&quot;? What fresh yankee madness is this?
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 09:13 AM

Raspberryberet:

As Robespierre says, it's a crap shoot. You won....this time.

I've been to Europe many times, in many ways. Most of the time I have returned home with all my possessions. However, in Amsterdam in about 1968, a travel stove was stolen from my car. Serves me right for leaving it where it could be seen.

About the same time, in Florence someone broke into my car and removed stuff from the trunk. Good thing they didn't know the car had a trunk in the front over the engine, as well as in the back. I can't remember what they got.

Afterward, many trips without incident. Then, in Barcelona in 2004 shortly after my sister gave me her credit card and passport to put in my money belt, her purse was stolen by a very slick thief posing as a waiter.

Since then I have lost or had stolen (not sure which) a wallet (eastern Europe) and a camera (Ireland).

The moral of this story is that if you're lucky and careful, you won't be robbed. However....
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 09:17 AM

I agree with lobo_mau, top security brand since medieval times, providers of every king and queen !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -