Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

personal recommendations for budget london hotels

May 23rd, 2007, 05:07 AM
carolinetaylor

I'm looking for a hotel that is around the £50 per night mark, and was wondering if anyone had any personal recommendations for hotels in that budget.

Thanks

May 23rd, 2007, 05:55 AM

is that single or double?

But in any case - in that range there really aren't that many great places to stay. Sure there are some decent budget hotels near Victoria and in Russell Square/Bloomsbury. (also near Earls Court and Paddington but those areas are farther from the main sites)

However - if you use Priceline you can get a 4 star hotel for around £50/$100. You cannot select the specific hotel but can choose the part of town. And it is pretty certain any $100 4 satr PL hotel will be much nicer than any £50 1 or 2 star place.

Check out biddingfortravel.com to see what's what . . .
May 23rd, 2007, 06:05 AM

There are a few under the 50 pound mark in Paddington. Check out the Cardiff, Westpoint and Abbey Court. Perfectly OK for the price.
May 23rd, 2007, 06:22 AM

yes - perfectly OK for the price. But IMHO I wouldn't settle for a down market place in Paddington when for the same money I could stay in a full service 4 star hotel in a more central location.
May 23rd, 2007, 08:02 AM

If you're in London outside term time, consider staying in the London School of Economics student accommodation. Great value - if a bit spartan. Very clean and safe. In many cases the price includes a cooked breakfast! www.lse.ac.uk/collections/vacations/
May 23rd, 2007, 08:24 AM

Caroline,

Could you tell us whether or not being in a "central location" is more important than price in this case?

May 23rd, 2007, 08:43 AM
carolinetaylor

I'm not overly concerned with the location, as i'm only staying in London for 2 nights to go to a music festival in Hyde Park so its definitely a price issue.

May 23rd, 2007, 09:10 AM

I recently stayed at an Ibis hotel in the East End for £65 a night including VAT. The hotel is brand-new, comfortable though not fancy, and it's in a fun area near Brick Lane and Spitalfields Market.
Aug 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Stayed at the Cardiff Hotel in London (near Paddington Station) suggested by my travel agent who also travels cheap when she is paying. This hotel is great because it includes a FULL cooked breakfast in the price an is 2 minutes walk with a suitcase from the station. Portobello market 2 stops away, Walking distance to Hyde park and Bond street ETC. Two english PUBS across the road. Only down side was no lift(elevator) So request a room on the Ground or first floor! Book direct on their web site to confirm your room at the cheapest rates (Around 50 pounds per night)
Aug 16th, 2007, 08:10 AM

You can try easyHotel. There's a long description in my trip report: http://tinyurl.com/24a4bn, including a photograph if you connect to the photos.
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Sounds like you're not looking that far ahead, so you could try lastminute.com. I was very pleased with the 4* Paddington Hilton at £63 for a double back in June - I booked about 2 weeks ahead. They had cheaper options, but I thought that was a bargain & also in an area I find convenient.
Aug 17th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Does it have to be a hotel? Tons of hostels to choose from.
Aug 17th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Last weekend, I lucked into three nights at the **** Meliã White House for $417 all in on Priceline. $138 a night rarely buys this much hotel in London.

Superb accommodation at Regent's Park, two minutes from three Tube and seven bus lines. Wonderful decor, furnishing, and amenities. The only downside was the minimal square footage - but since I wasn't entertaining in the room, that didn't matter. Oh - and the bathroom lighting wasn't amenable to shaving at the sink, as it came from directly overhead. But I'd stay there again in an instant.
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:43 AM

ter 2000 is right, often you can stay in the dorms at most colleges or universities during their off school time.
we've done that many times in English unversities.
We paid $15. / night per person. and it included a hugh breakfast!
my parents did the same thing in Paris years ago.
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:46 AM

one quick note to add, is you have a chance to meet locals who are affiliated with the college too. we meet a teacher and his family. they invited us to their home and we corresponded for many years.