Basilica San Marco--attire

Aug 17th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Basilica San Marco--attire

I have read that women are required to cover shoulders and knees (at this church and others). Are men also required to wear long pants? The guidebooks, etc are not clear on that.

thanks!
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:36 AM

For churches in general men's knees should also be covered, although I don't remember noticing whether San Marco is one of the stricter ones on that. (We booked in advance & were the only people entering that door when we did.) Below the knee shorts or those weird half-mast trousers are OK.
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, caroline. This was one of those things that just popped into my head in the middle of the night!

On a related topic, do you think it is necessary to pre-book tickets to the Basilica? I am going to try to get tix (in advance) for the Secret Itineraries tour...still have to find a number for that, tho. so much to do..but it is fun!
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:52 AM

I would strongly recommend pre-booking entry to the basilica. The first time we spent a week in Venice we passed through St Mark's Square several times and there was always a really long queue. We just turned up at the tour group entrance (to the left of the main entrance as you face the basilica) at the appointed time, a man came out, we showed him our confirmation e-mail and we were in. Remember you have to deposit bags first in the left luggage office, down the little street to the left (at right angles to the facade). Although the instructions say that visits last 20 minutes, you can stay as long as you like - there's no check.
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Once again, thanks! I had read about cking the bag at the special place which would also allow you to bypass the line (??). I had also read that you ck your bag for only one hour and could not figure out how that scant hour could afford one of enough time to get thru the Basilica...esp given the likely crowd! So, thanks for clarifying that item as well. We will pre-book the Basilica.