Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Basilica San Marco - Loggia, Galleria, Musuem entrance(s)?

Sep 16th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

I'm running out of research time..!
Is the Museum fully inside the Basilica, and is it upstairs?
Is the Galleria a 'balcony' or walkway that looks down over the interior of the Basilica?
Is the Loggia a terrace upstairs where you step outside and look out over the Piazza?

Does one access all three of these areas on one ticket, and via one entrance? And that entrance is... where? (inside or outside).

Thanks for helping me get a grip!
Sep 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM

There is no charge to enter the Basilica itself. I highly recommend that you make a reservation, in which case you can bypass the long line snaking out into the middle of the piazza. (Just go to the left of the line up to the main door and show them the reservation.)

Once inside there is a very small additional cost for a couple of things which is well worth paying (sorry, I'm forgetting at the moment what these are!)

There is also an extra charge for the Loggia and museum. Just after you enter, the entrance for these is to the right, a steep climb up very high steps (not for the person who can't climb steps!). I think it's 3 Euro for this. Well worth every penny. Once you get up there, you can go out to the balcony that overlooks St. Mark's Square and gives you a close-up view of the horses and mosaics on the outside. It is also up here where you have the museum with the original horses and lots of wonderful mosaics. Definitely all worth your time.
Sep 17th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

I made a reservation for 10:05-10:15am entry.

What size bags are accepted to go inside, vs. have to check them first?

Once we enter the Basilica, and turn right for the staircase, is that where we pay the entry fee for the musuem and loggia and galleria? Is it one fee for all 3 accesses?

Sep 17th, 2007, 08:29 AM

I think there're three parts that require admission.

Pala d'Oro: 1.50 euros

Treasury: 3 euros (I think) (relics, etc.)

Loggia (?): 3 euros (?) -- I think you get to see the original horses on this ticket and you get to step outside and look at the Square. Yes this should be upstairs.

I didn't do #3.

Make sure you see the Pala d'Oro as well. I think the Treasury is also interesting.

Once you step inside the church, there'll be obvious signs directing you to various parts. It will become clear.
Sep 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

ok then... thank you all!
Taking off Wednesday afternoon, Rome and Venice, quick trip with grown son & d-n-law...
Sep 17th, 2007, 09:10 PM

Have a great time!
Sep 18th, 2007, 05:07 AM

The Pala d'Oro is one of the most amazing things I've seen...I stood there wondering how it could all possibly be real! Just gorgeous. I wasn't so impressed with the Treasury, but the view from the loggia alone is worth going up, as well as seeing the original horses from the front of the building.