Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

People who got vaccinated in USA: CDC card. Help!

Old Sep 16th, 2021, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I apologize in advance for my English.
Im going to Europe in 10 days. I'm traveling from Orlando and I got my Pfizer vaccine here.
I'm entering by Spain (Barcelona), and then I'm visiting Italy (Rome and the Amalfi Coast), the Neatherlands (Amsterdam) and Belgium (Bruges).

I'm very concerned about the vaccination proof. Here in America I only got a paper, the CDC card, and no digital vacunation proof whatsoever. I got my shot at a Wallgreens and this card has both my personal information and the vaccine information hand wrritten.
I know European countries are asking people to show the Covid passport (digital)not only to enter the country, but also to get into bars, restaurants, museums, petc. I'm afraid the CDC paper might not be enough.
I wrote to the CDC requiring some digital documentation and they said this:
"There are no globally recognized uniform standards established for proof of COVID-19 vaccination. At this time, the best record of COVID-19 vaccination for people vaccinated in the United States is the CDC-labeled white vaccination record card; however, it may not be accepted as proof of COVID-19 vaccination for domestic or international travel. Travelers may want to check with authorities at their destination to learn what documentation is needed to meet any requirements for proof of vaccination at the destination."

Any recent experiences from american travelers?

Thanks!
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 09:47 AM

As I understand it, the CDC card IS your proof of vaccination. It will be accepted for entry to museums, restaurants, etc. Now you may also need to prepare an electronic form for entry into various countries, so you need to look at the policies of each country.
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 10:49 AM

You will be fine with the CDC card.
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 01:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
We just got to Greece yesterday. The CDC card is your proof. You need the card, so donít lose it!
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 01:18 PM

We have been in Italy for over three weeks, and the CDC card has been accepted everywhere, only a couple of times with a bit of prompting from us (usually in locations that have not seen them before).
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 02:41 PM

Make a copy of the card and take a good photo with your phone too -
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by carolinadr View Post
Hi everyone. I apologize in advance for my English.
Im going to Europe in 10 days. I'm traveling from Orlando and I got my Pfizer vaccine here.
I'm entering by Spain (Barcelona), and then I'm visiting Italy (Rome and the Amalfi Coast), the Neatherlands (Amsterdam) and Belgium (Bruges).

I'm very concerned about the vaccination proof. Here in America I only got a paper, the CDC card, and no digital vacunation proof whatsoever. I got my shot at a Wallgreens and this card has both my personal information and the vaccine information hand wrritten.
I know European countries are asking people to show the Covid passport (digital)not only to enter the country, but also to get into bars, restaurants, museums, petc. I'm afraid the CDC paper might not be enough.
I wrote to the CDC requiring some digital documentation and they said this:
"There are no globally recognized uniform standards established for proof of COVID-19 vaccination. At this time, the best record of COVID-19 vaccination for people vaccinated in the United States is the CDC-labeled white vaccination record card; however, it may not be accepted as proof of COVID-19 vaccination for domestic or international travel. Travelers may want to check with authorities at their destination to learn what documentation is needed to meet any requirements for proof of vaccination at the destination."

Any recent experiences from american travelers?

Thanks!
I have been home from 2 1/2 weeks in Italy for 11 days now. There was no digital green pass (Italian version) available to non citizens. I showed my CDC card and it was accepted everywhere. Not one problem. Just research the entry requirements for your 4 countries as it could vary. But for Italy, I had no problems whatsoever.
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might be able to get a digital copy of your vaccination record:
https://flshotsusers.com/resources/f...sked-questions
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Philadelphia friends are in Italy right now. They visited Rome, Venice, and a cooking school in Tuscany. They posted hundreds of their photos on Facebook and told me that the CDC card was accepted everywhere. You don't have to be vaccinated to eat outside at restaurants in Italy, only inside.

Thin,aristocrat 🦌
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 08:05 AM

Same thing as others, I've been in Italy for 2+ weeks, and the CDC card is accepted everywhere. In many places they don't do more than glance at it. In others, I've had to point out where it says Moderna (Pfizer in your case). The guy at German passport control took a really long, hard look at it (that was where I entered the EU), but he accepted it without comment.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 08:44 AM

I don't know about your state, but where I live in the US, the state has a database with your vaccine records. By law, this one had to be reported to them. ALso, I got mine at CVS and they have digital records of my vaccines received, also, in my account.

Now neither of those two has some QR code, but I don't think that would mean anything as it is tied to some particular app or database, isn't it? So I could supposedly show these recs on my phone, but it would take a while to find them.

IN fact, I did a test and tried to get a new copy of my CDC card from CVS, and they wouldn't give me one. I lied and claimed I lost it to see what they'd say. And they have records it is me and could check my ID. It just made me nervous to have this one little piece of cardboard becoming so valuable and having to travel with it and, to be honest, the guy at CVS who filled it out wrote really sloppily and it's kind of hard to read. That really bugs me when people writing by hand in important jobs have terrible handwriting (that happened to me at AAA also on my IDP) and the employer doesn't vet for that. Who knew this little card was going to be so important, though.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 09:21 AM

A recommendation for helping preserve your CDC card. Get a plastic sleeve that has a zip-loc style zipper on it to provide waterproof protection. There are lots available on Amazon.
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 09:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We bought protective see through plastic covers for our CDC cards, inexpensive on Amazon.
A friend just returned from Italy and had to show their CDC card and a photo ID to enter restaurants and bars. Take your drivers license along to use if you donít want to carry your passport everywhere when out and about.
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 06:16 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the CDC protection sleeves! Just ordered some for our upcoming trip.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Melnq8 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the CDC protection sleeves! Just ordered some for our upcoming trip.
Use a sleeve, but DON'T laminate your card. When/if you get boosters, the vaccinations will need to be recorded on the same card.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 12:56 PM

As I understand it the CDC card is not acceptable for entry to restaurants etc in the Netherlands, only an EU approved QR code is allowed. Needing a QR code and scanning for entry is all very new, started today, but that is what I read on a Dutch news site.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 01:02 PM

In France you will need the Pass Sanitaire. It started a few days before we arrived, and initially there was a glitch in the email address provided, so we used our CDC cards for 2 days before leaving the country. When we swung back into France at the end of our trip, 3 weeks later, the Pass was easy to get, online, overnight. It is free. It was regularly checked at museums, but not at restaurants. We just got back Wednesday, so this is current information.

There was no such pass or QR code for any of the other countries we visited, so we just showed our CDC card when requested.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 02:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Clark, public can't log into that site.

I am flying from Orlando also but we are going to France and Belgium. It keeps changing. I actually thought I needed a Rapid CPR test to get on Air France but apparently not. I do have to find a test to get home and Belgium has a bevy of rules but they keep changing so am going to wing it. I thought if I needed would get a Rapid PCR test in Paris for Brussels but travelling by train so who is going to check? If there for 48 hours you need nothing not even a locator form so that is my story for now. My pass Sanitaire is for France and if nothing else will go to grocery and do take out in Brussels. Flanders is much more relaxed and the 48 hour rule sounds perfect for you. I am making a copy of my CDC card, laminating it. Keeping my real card in a safe spot. They actually attached my booster card to the front and lapped it over to the back with info there so I need front and back copied. We fly home from Paris so will have to find a spot for test.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Macross View Post
Clark, public can't log into that site.

I am flying from Orlando also but we are going to France and Belgium. It keeps changing. I actually thought I needed a Rapid CPR test to get on Air France but apparently not. I do have to find a test to get home and Belgium has a bevy of rules but they keep changing so am going to wing it. I thought if I needed would get a Rapid PCR test in Paris for Brussels but travelling by train so who is going to check? If there for 48 hours you need nothing not even a locator form so that is my story for now. My pass Sanitaire is for France and if nothing else will go to grocery and do take out in Brussels. Flanders is much more relaxed and the 48 hour rule sounds perfect for you. I am making a copy of my CDC card, laminating it. Keeping my real card in a safe spot. They actually attached my booster card to the front and lapped it over to the back with info there so I need front and back copied. We fly home from Paris so will have to find a spot for test.
Don't laminate your card! You'll need to be able to add boosters as you get them. Also, some countries won't take a laminated card from what I have heard. Get a removeable slipcover if you need to protect it.

As for the test, a local pharmacy can refer you to a laboratory. We got ours Monday in Caen, at an open-air tent testing site, then took the test tubes to a laboratory 1 mile away for processing. Your hotel or airline website might also give you a referral.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 03:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by daffodildeb View Post
Don't laminate your card! You'll need to be able to add boosters as you get them. Also, some countries won't take a laminated card from what I have heard. Get a removeable slipcover if you need to protect it.

As for the test, a local pharmacy can refer you to a laboratory. We got ours Monday in Caen, at an open-air tent testing site, then took the test tubes to a laboratory 1 mile away for processing. Your hotel or airline website might also give you a referral.
I didn't say laminate the original but the copy. I have the booster on my card already but it was another slip of paper stuck on the front and put on the back. Rick Steves guide recommended not taking your original in and out but to keep it safe and show the laminated copy of the cdc card. If they won't accept then bring out the original.

Our apartment host might know but we are in Paris and by Nov there should be plenty of places hopefully for return trips. Not crazy about doing the RX home test some are using.