Pending Italy Trip

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pending Italy Trip

I will be traveling to Italy with my 18yr old daughter this July. I am wondering if the Scandicci area would be a good place to stay.
Would it be too far away from attractions? Maybe Rome would be better?
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 01:05 AM

Hi MD - If you want to visit Rome, Scandicci would be positively inconvenient.

What's your itinerary?

Steve
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Why are you considering Scandicci?
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:15 AM

Hi MD, strange that you would want to stay in Scandicci to visit Rome. My advice is always to stay not only in Rome, but in the larger Piazza Navona area in order to be able to walk easily to all the sites to be seen. Also an 18 year old is going to want to be near some life, and especially young life, if only to watch it. Evenings in Rome are great for people watching. You wouldn't want to be commuting to Scandicci after a full day and evening. Enjoy Rome by living in it.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

The reason for considering Scandicci is that my travel vacation company has a place in that area available. I wanted some input before accepting or denying the accomodations. We really do not have an itinerary yet. Any recomendations would be appreciated.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Well, Scandicci would be an option for visiting Florence, but certainly not Rome. You can't really just commute around Italy as if it were a city. As for it being too far away from attractions, that all depends on what attractions you're talking about.

"Maybe Rome would be better." I don't know how to interpret this...better for what?

What's your plan for visiting Italy? Where do you plan to go? For how long? How did you choose Italy, and why?

Your post is really too obscure to elicit much help at this point.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would not stay in Scandicci even to visit Florence. You need a different travel company.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Definitely stay in Rome, specifically in the Centro Storico area.

Not only will you be in the center of historic Rome, but you will be eliminating all that traveling to and from the city...and enjoying Rome instead.

No question...stay in Rome. As they say, location is everything!
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 09:10 AM

The fact that a travel agent has someting available is absolutely the worst reason to stay there.

You have a very limited time in europe. You need to be sure you are very near (like walking distance) from the major things you want to see.

What are those?

Then people can help you figure out where to stay. (Staying in a central place and commuting to rome and Florence is close to madness.)
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

We would like to see several things in Rome. The Coloseum,Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, The Vatican. Would it be conceivable to visit the Amafi coast, Pompeii, maybe a day trip from Rome? We will have 6 or 7 days.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM

MD,

With each post, you've added another idea, so it seems like you do have some ideas of what you hope to do and see. It would be helpful if we understood your ideas better.

We now know that you have 6 or 7 days, that you have a list of items you hope to see in Rome, and that you're also interested in Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast.

I'm unclear if you're interested at all in Florence or if it was just in the mix because of the property in Scandicci.

Do you have other ideas, or should we concentrate on your interests in Rome and Pompeii/Amalfi?

It is possible to do a day trip to Pompeii from Rome--a very long day trip of about three hours travel in each direction. Some have reported enjoying such a day.

To add in the Amalfi Coast to such a day would add another hour of travel in each direction at least and not allow much time to actually see anything.

You might split your time between Rome (4-5 nights) and Sorrento or Positano (2-3 nights) to get a taste of both areas and allow for more time to visit.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:30 AM

The best thing you can do is list out what you want to see and your budget...then let us help you!

For that amount of time I woudl limit it to ROme and maybe a day trip to Orvieto.

Renting an apartment can help you save some money...check out www.slowtrav.com for recommendations. We rented from www.romepower.com and were very happy.

Come back with more into and we will do what we can to help!