Help planning a trip to Rome

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM
evw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help planning a trip to Rome

I am headed to Rome for a week with my husband, baby and mother in law. We would like to stay in a great location in the city for ~$250 per room, any recommendations? Also, how many days should we spend in Rome and where else should we go? Florence via a Tunscany drive?
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Personally I like the location of the Ponte Sisto Hotel.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Among other things it is near to Via Giulia a stoll through Via Gulia and nearby streets alone is memorable, even to the anti-shopper. The hotel is a short walk from the Trastevere for nice quaint little restaurants and pizzerias, in one word it happens to be close to everything I like in Rome ...
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Are you looking for a room for the 4 of you? Or will you mom in law have her own room? Perhaps an apartment may work well for you, especially with a baby.

Have you ever been to Rome, or anywhere else in Italy. You can easily spend a week in Rome without getting bored. You can also take some day trips.

How long of a vacation are you planning?
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Just want to add that I like the Navona/Pantheon/Campo Dei Fiore location. Very central (and walkable) to most sights.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM

One more question, when are you going? Hotel prices vary by season.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:39 AM

try albergodelsenato.it/...it's in the center of town! Have you ever been to rome? DO you know what you want to see~ I think 3 days is enough but it really just depends on what you are looking for. I will be there next week with my husband and then on to Montepulciano, (La Locanda di San Francesco) we love wine so we will spend 4 days in tuscany.
Again, it all depends on what your interest are and how you want to spend your time. You can get many great ideas from this site but you might want to describe more what you like.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:29 PM

I'm heading that direction myself in early October. I researched like crazy and decided on Hotel Adriano near Piazza Navonna and Pantheon. I think it's about $200-$250 but it's all about location. Two years ago I stayed on Via Nazionale at Gea di Vulcano and loved the walking distance to the Colosseum, but I'm also traveling with my mother this time and Adriano appears to be more comfortable. Buon Viaggio!
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 09:14 PM

We faced a similar dilemma when we went to Rome last year - we only had a week and it was difficult to resist the temptation of including Florence/Venice. In the end we decided to spend the entire week in Rome and were glad we did that. There is so much to see in Rome, even a week will seem a bit hurried. We decided that we will see other parts of Italy on future trips.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 06:07 AM

Guidebook writer's tips for a week in Rome:
-stay in the center and learn the bus routes but beware the rush hours (especially on the 64)
-with a variety of ages you'd do best in an apt. you'll save lots of euro and have more space .check www.vrbo.com for apts.
- find and take advantage of local supermarket, rosticceria and bar instead of eating out in restaurants
-study the articles on Rome life on www.elegantetruria.com
-A lifetime is not enough for Rome..with only a week stay in Rome . When you need green go to Villa Borghese, Doria Pamphili or one of the other lovely parks.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 12:30 PM

I agree about apartments. Especially with a little one. You have more room, a kitchen for cleaning up kids' food messes, and sometimes a washiing machine. One of the nice things is that you don't have to get dressed up in the morning for breakfast, and also if you are really tired at the end of the day you can just make a salad or something in the apt.

Try www.slowtrav.com/italy for information about apartments and apt. websites. There are many.

Charnee
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 12:34 PM

Oh, I forgot -- someone recommended Hotel Modigliani -- http://www.hotelmodigliani.com/ where they have a couple of apartments in the inner courtyard where it would be nice and safe for a little one to be outside.

Charnee