Best Location in Rome

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Location in Rome

Would love everyones opinion, If price was not a consideration, what hotel in rome would be your 1st choice based on location?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:36 PM

I would have to say The Hassler at the top of the Spanish Steps. I've walked by a few times and would love to have the money to stay there.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Hi,

I'd pick a hotel on the Via Veneto that is close to Harry's Bar.

==Mike
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Personally, via Veneto is the last place I'd want to stay in Rome! And while the Hassler does look nice, I'm not crazy about climbing those steps a dozen times a day as I zip in and out.
I want to be within a couple blocks of Navona and/or Fiori so I can take a stroll first thing in the morning, and again last thing every night. The only really nice hotel I know in that area is the Raphael (but I'm sure there are other nice ones too.)
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:26 PM

This is a useless question because, in Rome, knowing the correct room number to ask for is far more important than having enough money. Every neighborhood in Rome has at least one lovely hotel and each of these hotels has many, many less-than-satisfactory rooms.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

my question was about location of hotel not a room. I just wanted to be in the best location for seeing rome. I of course would like a lovely hotel in a fantastic location.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 02:47 AM

I have stayed in three areas in rome .
Campo di Fiori area (Piazza Farnese),
Spanish Steps area(Via Frattina)
and on Piazza della Rotunda , over looking the Pantheon.

Both my children's and my favorite is the Pantheon area, seconded by the Campo di Fiori area.

I also think that Via Veneto is so lovely,esp. in the summer with all those large trees lining the avenue.
It is always so cool walking there, even in the hottest of days.

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:21 AM
ec

We stayed at the Crown Plaza Minerva, but I think the name has changed somewhat now. It used to be a Holiday Inn (not your typical USA Holiday Inn), and on the expensive end. The location was EXCELLENT we thought. Across from the church Santa Maria Sopha Minerva it is down the street from the Pantheon (2-3 min. walk), about 10 min. walk to Plz Navonna, and it seemed to me to be pretty centrally located between The Spanish Steps area and the Forum, etc. area.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:45 AM
rex

I, too, would choose the Minerve - - and as "ec" indicated, it no longer has Crowne Plaza in its name. Ended that affiliation two years ago, but to no harm, as I understand it.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:47 AM

the name now is the Grand Hotel Minerve.
Fantastic location, and some of my family who stayed there last year thought it was a very fine hotel.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:19 AM

My favorite part of Rome is the Centro Storico area near the Pantheon and Piazza Navona and is a short walk to the Spanish Steps.

The area is charming with small shops, bakeries, churches, barber shops, etc. Very quaint and just delightful.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Hi Akakari,

We stayed at Hotel Cortina, a block away from the Republicca Metro stop (same location as the Baths of Diocletian). Great location (easy walk to the metro stop), great hotel, great service. We paid 90 euros with breakfast/tax (Dec 2003). Highly recommend this hotel.

Their website is www.travel.it/roma/hotelcortina. 'Hope that helps!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:42 AM

For those knowing the Grand Minerve. Is that the place with the open terrace dining room on top? Is dinner there as nice as it sounds? Is it all for the atmosphere or is the food good as well?
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:03 AM

The Grand Minerve has a venerable reputation in Rome. It's known for catering to world diplomats and dignitaries. Service is first class and dinner on the terrace will not disappoint.

You will have better luck securing a larger room at the Minerve because they have more to choose from than the del Senato. But don't expect the same personality or the type of clientele that inhabit the del Senato.

For me, decoration and interior design dictate emotional impact. As professional and first rate as the Minerve is, I feel a cool chill there. There's much to look at and admire but little brings a smile to my face. Their spacious rooms are abundant but the decoration provokes a yawn. The place is just too traditional/stuffy/conservative for me.

The reason the del Senato is SO popular, apart from the location, is its sense of style and color palette. You just can't help but feel happy here.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for all your location opinions. I am now looking into the del senato, for its location and the recently restored Splendide royal on via porta pinciana. The prices are comparable for the time I need.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:22 AM

I agree on icks-nay to the Via Veneto. It's the Roman equivalent of Champs-Elysees - pretty and expensive, but severely lacking in local charm. (There's a Hard Rock Cafe there, if that's any indication of how Roman a neighborhood it is.)
I'd also recommend the area around Piazza d'Espagne
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:27 AM
rex

Patrick, I have had a breakfast/luch buffet att the top of the Minerve. The view was nice, but I have a feeling that there are nicer. And probably at dusk, it is a good deal more magical. I'd give them a b-/B+ for the decor of the rooftop itself.

The food was borderline fancy frou/frou, and quite high-priced. My FIL wanted a break from "European food" and got the "cheeseburger deluxe plate" or something like that (ordering from the menu, not choosing from the buffet). It was enormous - - the kind of thing you can barely eat, with a whole plate full of other food. And close to 25 dollars (in 2001), if memory serves me correctly.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Hi
We just got back yesterday. We stayed at the Santa Chiara, behind the Parthenon. The price was reasonable for Rome and included a good buffet breakfast. The location was great, step out the door practically anywhere in Rome where tourists go was about 20 minute walk. We saw the Spanish steps, Vatican, Ghetto, Ruins etc. We walked everywhere. I arranged the stay via e-mail. I know I have read elsewhere that the staff was not the friendliest. I found them helpful and friendly. They arranged for a car to pick us up at the airport and return for 50 eur. each way The room while not huge was very clean, with sheets etc changed every day. The best part was its location as I said before and its price. Its e-mail address is [email protected]. I did everything with e-mail and made hard copies of the the confirmation information. I would stay there again. At least they have the Travel Channel in English so I don't have to watch CNN or BBC when I want tv.
alan
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 02:14 PM

aeiger,
Parthenon????
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 02:19 PM

I don't know that I'd agree with the idea of staying near the Parthenon in Rome. Climbing up and down that Acropolis all the time would get to me!

But a spot near the Pantheon would be nice!

Sorry, no offense, aiger, it just made for a funny typo or slip of the mind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -