Payment to Apartment Owner by Paypal

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to rent an apartment in London for 6 days in June. The apartment owner would like us to prepay for our stay by using Paypal.

Does anyone foresee any problems with payments with Paypal? What recourse would we have if there were problems getting into the apartment?

The reason the owner would like payment in this manner is because she says it is taking up to 10 weeks for checks to clear.

I would appreciate your opinions about this payment method. Thanks! Laurie
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:29 PM

Pay Pal is great for a lot of things, but you are not protected, even if you keep all of the correspondence between you, Pay Pal, which is owned by eBay, and the apartment owner. You will have to prove your position if there is a problem and that may be a bit difficult.

Regarding a check. A certified check, or bank draft, can clear in a few days but a personal check is another matter, and again, you are not protected once payment is received. It appears that the apartment owner is not a business and therefore can't accept a credit card payment, which would protects you. I would be hesitant in sending a payment to someone who offers no assurances. It sounds a little too one-sided in case there are any problems.

Unless you can make a payment through an established third party, a bank, etc., I would look elsewhere for a place to stay.
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:57 PM

You can pay with Paypal using your credit card - and then if there's a problem your credit card will resolve it with Paypal for you - just as with any other merchant. Just be sure you use the credit card vs bank account option.
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:47 PM

The first time I used Paypal was for a Scale Reale tour in Rome a few years back. It was very convenient and actually saved me money since they accepted the funds in USD. I wouldn't hesitate as long as you link it to your credit card. Keep a copy of your correspondence with the apt. owner as backup. You can take up any dispute with the credit card.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:48 AM
ira

good advice.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:45 AM

I've rented several apartments in Paris, and other international locations and find it easier to be able to use PayPal, but I agree with other posters -- use your credit card! And keep all documentation, including emails from PayPal, etc. showing payment. I've never had a problem. Good luck!
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:30 PM

I don't see how using a credit card would help. The transaction is between you and paypal. If things go awry, all paypal has to demonstrate is that they sent the payment onward, and they will then have completed the transaction you initiated.

I don't necessarily think paypal is a bad option, but nowhere on their site have I been able to find the exchange rate applied. Of course, if the owner is willing to take $1500US as payment, no problem, unless the rate in pounds is 500. I know some apartments are actually owned by Americans, but my experience is that a merchant that accepts payment in a foreign currency builds a profit into the exchange rate they use.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Personally I despise PayPal. I tried to use them when I rented via Rent Paris. They would not let me pay the bill since my account was too new!

Plus PayPal will do practially nothing if you have a problem so you have no more protection.

Personally I would volunteer a Cashiers Check and if that doesn't work move on.

WIthout a credit card you don't have any real protection so you just need to develop confindence in the other party.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:26 PM

I've used PayPal since it was first started for over 500 tranactions without any problems. I can send money either thru my credit card or from my checking account. And they do have a buyer protection program in addition to your credit card protection. If you and the receiver are both verified accounts , I can't see where there would be any problems. Your account is always available for verification.

" from the paypal site..

File a Claim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To file your Buyer Claim, click Continue. We will work to resolve your Buyer Claim as quickly as possible, but it may take at least 30 days to complete our investigation and resolve the dispute. If your item was never received, or was significantly not as described (and purchased on eBay) you may be eligible for additional protection from eBay's Standard Purchase Protection Policy through PayPal's Buyer Complaint Process.

Old May 19th, 2005, 05:08 PM

PayPal does not need to protect you - your credit card company does. If you pay via Paypal on your credit card and the service/merchandise is a problem you simply go to your credit card company, provide an official complaint - and have then recall the payment to Paypal.

I have done this twice with Paypal - but not e-bay transactions - when the merchandise was not delivered. Both timers AmEx refunded my money after Paypal was not able to obtain proof of delivery from the merchant.

From your point of view your protection comes from your own credit card - and Paypal is simply treated as a billing agent of the merchant.
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:45 PM

I suspect PayPal isn't going to protect anyone from anything if they have a complaint about an apartment or something like that. Their role is just to transmit the money, and I'm sure you can have some protection that they do that correctly, but not for the apartment.

That buyer's protection is related to something you buy on Ebay, I believe, as they are the same owner. I don't think it has anything to do with protecting your satisfaction regarding something outside Ebay. What NYtravelers says makes sense to me.

And while I agree with Clevelandbrown that apt. agents who accept foreign money probably take a markup, they don't all do, as I rented from one in Paris who accepted a check in USD at an exchange rate that was virtually identical to the wholesale bank rate.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:23 PM

If you read the Paypal description carefully, they cover you with their buyer/service protection plan and if it is an eBay purchase you may also be covered for additional protection by ebay's standard purchase protection. So if your deposit is by credit card you are protected 2 ways, cc company and paypal.

I just made a contribution to a charitable site and used the Euro option instead of dollars..don't do it! The exchange rate they offer is not great for Euro so I don't imagine it would be very good for GBP either.

Old May 19th, 2005, 08:34 PM

Add me to the growing list of <b>PayPal Despisers</b>.

I sold a computer on eBay last summer, and the buyer used it to scam someone else. PayPal took <b>my</b> $450 as if <b>I</b> were the culprit. They said that the funds this guy paid were &quot;fraudulently acquired.&quot;

So if someone holds up a liquor store and uses the money to buy a computer from me, PayPal will give the liquor store <b>my</b> money?

Stuff that. No PayPal nohow not never.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice!
Laurie
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:22 PM

As a merchant, the same thing that happened to Robespierre with PayPal , happens with all credit card companies. If someone purchases something with a fraudulent card, even though it is approved by the CC company at the POS, and then the real cc owner disputes the charge, the money is charged back to the merchant.It's a risk any seller takes, unless they get cash or certified funds or a money order.
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:23 AM

Robespierre -

I use Paypal only to buy things - not to sell. But I have a friend who uses it for both. He had heard about some problems from the sellers side so he set up a separate bank account just for the Paypal business. He transfers all the funds in that account out daily - so if there is some sort of hoo-ha with Paypal - he is not stuck with the consequnces - since they no longer have access to any of this funds.
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:28 AM

Having read on other boards lots of horror stories on &quot;buyer&quot; protection from PayPal on EBAY.... I would take that with a grain of salt. If they are required to do any work figure it will take forever and if they would be required to refund any money they can't get from someone else... you will have a LONG WAIT!
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:05 AM

nytraveler -

Tell your friend that transferring funds out of the account every day won't work, because PayPal doesn't let go of the money (to get it <i>into</i> the bank) in less than three business days.

They've got all the exits covered - with gotchas.
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Laurie,
You didn't mention what your other payment options are. If your other choices are to pay by check or wire transfer, I don't see how you would have any recourse there either if something were to go wrong. As someone else mentioned, ultimately it all comes down to trust between the 2 parties involved in these types of transactions.