Payment for Apartments

Mar 31st, 2007, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

Payment for Apartments

Hi all,

i am going to Nice for vacation with my girlfriend. looking at renting an apartment for a week during Cannes film fest and Monaco Gp.

Has anyone rented an apartment before? mode of payment? is it trustworthy? coz most agents i spoke to are asking for full payment prior to arrival..

Thanks for your inputs..
Kelvin
Mar 31st, 2007, 02:14 AM
ira

Hi K,

>Has anyone rented an apartment before?

No. You are the very first person.

>mode of payment?

What is the owner/agent demanding?

>...is it trustworthy?

Depends on the owner/agent

>...most agents i spoke to are asking for full payment prior to arrival..

This is not unusual.

Mar 31st, 2007, 02:49 AM
sjj

Rental agencies often ask for your credit card number when you book an apartment and for full payment in cash when you take possession. I think you can use PayPal in lieu of the card number and travelers' checks instead of cash. Check on this with the agency. To me, the whole procedure is scary, and I went through with it only because the apartment and the agency were recommended by a friend.
Mar 31st, 2007, 03:22 AM

Most require half payment when you book - and most use paypal,not credit cards, and then the other half, in cash when you take possession. I know some do want it all ahead of time but I've felt more comfortable with the half and half arrangement and many do operate that way.
Mar 31st, 2007, 04:20 AM

I've never been asked for a credit card number. I've been asked to send the deposit and, a week or so prior to leaving, the balance (both by check). Before sending the balance you should have received, signed and returned a contract.

It is, in my opinion, perfectly reasonable to ask for full payment prior to arrival. Unlike hotels, who can even benefit from walk-ins, if you don't show up they have lost an opportunity to rent to others.

I've only rented through VRBO and only those who have references. I've never had a problem.

Good luck and have a great time!
Mar 31st, 2007, 04:49 AM

Lots of people do this and there are various payment methods, as others said. It depends on the agency or private party -- there are just all kinds of ways to pay. I've paid deposits by credit cards, and the remainder by a bank draft check or credit card, but that was because I used an agency. Lots of folks use Paypal or just mail off travelers checks they get in euro or may use a bank wire.

It really depends on what they require.

Many apts require complete payment in advance (or perhaps 30-50 pct on booking and the remainder within a few weeks of arrival) at all times. I am frankly amazed that at this date you can even find a week's apt. rental for the Cannes film festival, and of course they are going to require complete payment for that. Many hotels in resort areas or during certain festival periods even do that, an apt. definitely is.