Payment at markets and other stores

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2022, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in Provence and the French Riviera mid-May through mid-June and plan on visiting several markets and various antique stores. I'm guessing the markets only take cash. Is that correct? Do most stores take credit cards? Thanks in advance!
Old May 11th, 2022, 10:08 PM

I would count on paying cash in the markets, and the increased possibility of credit card being accepted in larger restaurants. Smaller outlets will still be cash only. France was always traditionally more likely to accept Visa than MasterCard. AMEX hurts small businesses because the commission they charge is larger. I am not sure how things are after Covid, card transations becoming more popular; perhaps someone who has been to France recently (or lives there) can comment.

Lavandula
Old May 11th, 2022, 11:30 PM

The small open air market we went to a couple of weeks ago accepted debit cards. They all had machines. I don't know if they also accepted credit cards. The supermarket we aid with our debitcard, again I don't know if they accepted credit cards, as we would never use one for such shopping in Europe.
As with other countries in Europe debit card payments are more normal since covid, with cash less used, but we did see people still paying cash.
If you have a debit card with a chip and PIN then bring that rather than wodges of cash.
Old May 12th, 2022, 03:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cash and debit card
Old May 12th, 2022, 04:50 AM

Credit cards are just as widely accepted as are debit cards or cash. Most French people use bank cards, which are a hybrid credit/debit card. I always use credit cards as I pay no fees (transaction or currency conversion) and accumulate points. Vendors will not care what type of card you have, only that it is approved for purchase.
Old May 12th, 2022, 07:16 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for the great info, heti!
Old May 12th, 2022, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the info!
Old May 12th, 2022, 07:53 AM
J62

In Italy just before covid contactless payment (apple pay, samsung pay, etc, or nfc enabled credit card) was widely accepted, even at stalls at markets. Ditto for ticket machines, parking kiosks, etc. Not everywhere, but very common.
Has that become more common in France and elsewhere as well?

Here in my corner of the the US nearly everywhere now has a contactless payment option - even small vendors at markets or independent service providers (hair, massage, etc)....tap & go...
COVID accelerated that transition more away from cash even for small payments. Younger generations seem to do everything electronic now, including small purchases like a single coffee, or splitting the bill, or sending money among friends by venmo.