Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Passport Renewal Times For Canada & U.S.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both my son and I have our passports expiring in April and I'm wondering about the current amount of time it's taking to receive new ones? Also, do they start the new ones from the time the old one expires, or from the new issue date? Mine is Canadian and his is American.

Thanks very much!
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 12:10 PM

Hi sardog. I have an American passport which I renewed last year. I sent in for the renewal about 3 months in advance I believe. New passport was effective 2 days before the expiration of the expiring passport.

I received the renewed passport about 2 or 3 weeks after I sent in for it. But have known people to wait 6 plus weeks for their renewal passport.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 12:24 PM

I just renewed my passport (U.S.) by mail. It took between 5 and 6 weeks to receive. I also renewed my daughters' passports, age 15 and 17. For those they had to go to the passport office in the post office in person. I had to take the oath for my 15yr old, but the 17 yr old did it herself. They both took about 4 weeks. An adult can get expedited service (don't know if a child can do it also) by paying an extra fee and sending it overnight mail with overnight return mail enclosed, and it takes about a week, start to finish. You can't use the old passport once a new one is issued -- the old one is cancelled, and they put holes in it.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 01:37 PM

Canadian passport renewal:
You need to surrender your old passport when you apply for the new one. Your new one will be in effect when you receive it. NOTE: the new photo regulations are VERY stingent - be sure to get your photos done by a photographer who has already done some passport photos. ALSO you need an additional piece of ID (besides your birth certificate) which will confirm your address (approved IDs (like a driver's license) are listed on the forms. NOTE: if you mail in your application you will need to enclose a photocopy this additional piece of ID that has been signed by your guarantor. Basically READ the instructions carefully. Things have CHANGED. It took me about 2 weeks to get my new passport. How long it takes depends on when you apply (apply during a busy time and it will take longer).
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM

We had to renew our passports this year also. We mailed them in September and had them back in about two weeks.

-Sharon
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 03:49 PM

Mine took about 6 weeks, done by regular mail. The US also has very strict rules about the picture now (no glasses or hats/headscarfs, must have white background, etc). If the picture is wrong, the applications will be returned. Look on the passport website: www.travel.state.gov for all the requirements.

Please note, many countries will not let you in if you have less than 6 months validity left on your passport (you only have 5 months left) at the time of arrival. Always check the requirements of any country that you are visiting beforehand.

If you need your passport renewed soon, you can use expedited service, which does incur an extra fee. Never used this service, but I believe it usually takes about 1-2 weeks by mail, faster if you go in person.

BarbaraF is correct. Your new passport is valid immediately and new expiration date will be based on the date of the issue. The old one is invalid as soon as the new one is issued. It's returned (with punch holes) with the new one.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! It sounds like it's probably better that I get myself in gear and have them renewed sooner rather than later, just because of the possible six month pre-expiry requirement. I'm going to be in Canada over Christmas, so I'll probably have my photos done when I'm there. I appreciate all of your help!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 04:57 AM

I think nibblette meant... no sunglasses.

-Sharon
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:40 AM

For Canada passport, if you are coming up for Christmas, apply personally at passport office, takes about 4-5 working days for a new one.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:43 AM

For US passports:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/index.html

It's possible to expedite the process for extra cost, and if you live near a live passport center and are in a hurry to leave, you can make an appointment there and get your passport even faster (again, for extra money).
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 09:40 AM

I just received my US passport after sending it in for renewal three and one-half weeks ago.
The old one was set to expire in July 2005 and the renewal in December 2014 so I lost about six months contrary to what someone posted above. Not a big problem, of course, but just to keep folks up to date.
Mara
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Mara is correct for those of us who like to renew our US passports early (7-8 months before expiration), we're essentially losing out on the remaining months. Your new passport will be effective the day that it's processed regardless of the old expiry date.

I renewed mine this year using expedited service for an extra $60 on top of the renewal fee and it took just over a week including overnight mail both ways.

Also for anyone who thinks they might need extra pages later on, you can request a 48 page passport (rather than the standard 24 page one) at the time of renewal. There's no additional cost and it saves you the extra step of having to send it back later to add pages.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 12:05 PM

If you are submitting your old passport you do NOT need any "additional ID."
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 01:18 PM

My advice to you be to apply several months in advance.

Canada still allows routine renewal of passports at passport offices in major Canadian cities. This is much better than renewing by mail, because your original birth certificate or citizenship certificate (required every time you renew) won't travel by mail and won't be out of your hands for weeks at a time. A secondary piece of identification is also required, but a photocopy, signed by your guarantor, is acceptable.

According to Canada's Passport Office, routine processing time is 2 weeks at an office and 4 weeks by mail (not including mailing time). For details, see:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/passports/get_process_times_e.asp

Canada's passport offices provide "urgent" (next working day, CDN$70) and "express" (2 to 9 working days, CDN$30) service to people who furnish proof of urgency. Passport office staff will decide which option you really need. For example, if your flight leaves in two business days, you will not generally be allowed to buy overnight service, and you may have to pick up your passport the morning of your departure.

As someone pointed out, the photograph rules for Canadian passports are very, very strict. Be sure to use a photographer who does this kind of work routinely. Also, be sure that you have your guarantor, and two personal references, lined up.

In the U.S., all routine passport renewals are handled by mail. There's no disadvantage in this case, because you aren't required to submit your birth certificate. It's amusing to note that Canada has always been much stricter in this regard.

If your son is a minor, or if this will be his first "adult" passport, he will have to appear in person, generally at a U.S. post office that offers passport services. Unless the applicant is required to appear in person, there is no advantage to appearing at a post office. The Postal Service will cheerfully charge you $30 to administer the oath, but the passport renewal transaction will still be done through the mail.

According to the U.S. Department of State, processing time is 6 weeks. For information, see:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get_processing.html

"Expedited" service is available for US$60. Processing time is two weeks, not including mailing time. It's up to you whether to pay for overnight Express Mail to the passport office, and/or to include a stamped overnight Express Mail return envelope with your application.

In the U.S., you can buy expedited service whether or not you need it (this is different from the situation in Canada, see above). Last time I did this, I had a 12-day turn-around, including mailing time (Express Mail both ways).

The only situation where you will go to an actual passport office in the U.S. is when you are travelling within two weeks. You must make an appointment beforehand.

As you probably know, "adult" U.S. passports are valid for 10 years and Canadian passports, for 5. In both countries, the new passport takes effect whenever your renewal application happens to be processed. The new passport isn't "held" until the old one would have expired. In fact, the old one is cancelled immediately.

One more point: If your son is renewing his U.S. passport from outside the U.S., or of you are renewing your Canadian passport from outside Canada, be sure to inform yourself and plan ahead. Both countries have flip-flopped in their policies for routine passport renewals from abroad. At present, it appears as if you can once again renew a U.S. passport in personal at a U.S. embassy/consulate. On the other hand, Canadians residing outside Canada must mail their passport applications to Canada.

Hope this helps!

Paul Marcelin-Sampson
Santa Cruz, California