New Passport Regs: no more amendments

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Passport Regs: no more amendments

I received this a few days ago in a State Department email:

Important Passport Security Enhancement: No Amendments
Effective September 26, 2005, as an additional security enhancement, Passport Services will no longer amend valid passports. Instead, customers requesting name changes, extension of validity for limited passports, or correction of a printing error will apply for replacement passports.

There's more to it, which is undoubtedly posted on the state department website. Speaking from experience, it takes longer to get a new passport than to amend a current one, so people who anticipate needing/making a change might want to start the process earlier than they'd planned.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:37 AM

Not necessarily on topic but I recently applied for a passport and was told it would take 6-8 weeks to come in the mail. We received them within 3 weeks! Sometimes they are fast at the passport offices!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:41 AM

I renewed mine a couple of months ago and had my new passport back in the mail within 10 days. I must have hit a quiet period.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:44 AM

Well-managed institutions (a term I do not ordinarily associate with the U.S. Department of State) routinely quote much longer times than they think will be necessary, so that people don't waste their time asking "is it soup yet?" in the normal case.

If they say 6-8 weeks, that means that they're morally certain they can do it in six, no matter what. Which means they can actually perform in two.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:08 PM

Hi kswl, I just went on the State Depts website and as of right now there is not any announcement regarding this. I need to have my passport amended as when it was recently renewed it was not renewed correctly. Well that will teach me a lesson..not getting it amended immediately. That is the bad news.

I will have to have a new passport photo taken. that is the good news! Thank you so very much for posting this information!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:43 PM
KT

It's hiding on the State Department website in the press releases. They haven't updated the passport information pages yet, though. Here it is:

Effective September 26, 2005, as an additional security enhancement, Passport Services will no longer amend valid passports. Instead, customers requesting name changes, extension of validity for limited passports, or correction of a printing error will apply for replacement passports.

If the change is within one year after issuance, they will submit a U.S. Passport Re-Application Form (DS 5504), together with the passport that needs the change, the documentation required, and new passport pictures. There will be no charge for routine processing.

If the change is more than one year after issuance, customers will need to submit an Application for Passport By Mail (DS-82), together with the passport that needs the change, the documentation required, and new pictures. The cost includes the $55 application fee and $12 security surcharge, for a total of $67 for routine processing. Of course, if the requested data change is due to a printing error by Passport Services, there will be no charge.

Those only needing to add visa pages to their passports will submit an Application for Additional Visa Pages (DS-4085). This service is always free of charge when routine.

If expedited service is requested for any of these changes, except an error by Passport Services, there will be an additional charge of $60 per application. The purchase of two-way overnight delivery remains optional but is recommended if time is short.

All of these forms will be available online at travel.state.gov. The Passport Amendment/Validation Form (DS-19), previously used to amend passports, will no longer be valid. For more information on applying for a U.S. passport, forms, and a wealth of other international travel information, please visit our website at travel.state.gov.

Here's the URL:
www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2005/53505.htm
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:22 PM

KT, thank you! Only thing I didn't "click" was the Press Releases".
Again, Fodors is a wealth of information.

Many thanks kswl and KT!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly, I hardly rejoice when I have to get a new passport photo! A photo every 10 years--for me, anyway---is a natural history of gravity and the human body, especially someone who is "allergic" to regular exercise!

I do wish my passport had not been amended, however, as it usually takes longer to go through security with explanations. Next time I am going to put a post-it note on page 24 where the name change appears. (One exception is security in Houston, as I am not sure the guard knew how to read; she looked carefully at the name on the ticket, the name on the passport, and waved me right through!)
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:28 PM

I'm glad they changed the procedures. When I got married, I was excited to change my last name on everything because my married name is about 67 letters shorter than my maiden name, which is very Polish. I was bummed when they only amended the back of my passport.

Plus, needless to say, my passport photo sux. I'd be more than happy to get a new one!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:54 PM

UHM, my passport photo is a fairly new one and I look like a wet rat. It was raining that day, I did not have an umbrella with me and it was the day before I had an appointment to have a hair cut. You don't want to know how bad my photo is LOL.

I too figured an amended passport would cause more of a security problem which I why I am so happy to hear I can start all over again with a new passport. I am going to wait a couple of weeks and then go to the nearest PO...but this time I won't let them take my photo...will go somewhere else for the photo.

Life is so complicated but sometimes not taking care of problems immediately does turn out to be a blessing. kswl, you really do not know how thrilled I was when I saw the title of your thread. I thought "YES!"

CheBird, I hope you don't have too many years before it is time to renew your passport. Take care.