New US Passport now take 10 weeks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition the expedited version now takes 3-4 weeks or longer.This info comes directly from the State Dept.
http://tinyurl.com/zrelt
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:14 AM

One might have assumed that it would be in the nature of a democracy that a State would seek to serve its citizens. Ten weeks for a passport seems to be an odd way of discharging that obligation. Last time I needed to get my UK passport renewed, I went to Britain just for the day, arriving early morning. Had an appointment at the Passport Agency at 10 in the morning, and called back at 2 in the afternoon to collect my new passport. The whole thing done and dusted in four hours. Presumably if President Bush happens to mislay his passport, the US State Department would find some way of replacing his passport in four hours. A pity that same courtesy cannot be extended to the average US citizen eager to travel abroad.
Nicky
www.hiddeneurope.co.uk
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:51 PM

My belief is that the government puts out the worst case scenario, which, unfortunately, I believe is the best way to communicate response time.

Two years ago, my passport was expiring and I had an unplanned trip to Asia, I paid for some expiditing and paid for the next level of response. Instead of 3-4 weeks, it was renewed in less than 2 weeks.

What does this mean, all the ambiguity?

Plan ahead or pay the costs.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:59 PM

I recently renewed my passport, paying $60 to have it expedited. It took 31 days and effort on the part of my congressman's office to get it into my hands. How long would it have taken if I had not paid the additional $60 is beyond me.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 12:54 AM

That is truly astounding! I renewed my British passport at the UK consulate in Amsterdam - 4 days including postgae time. A Dutch passport takes a bit longer - 10 days I think it is now, due to the monumental bureaucracy there is in Holland.
I wish all you folks waiting for a new passport the patience of a saint, and nerves of steel if you need it by a certain date.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 03:10 AM

I believe that the increased response time is due to new regulations requiring a Passport for visiting Canada, Mexico and the Carribean. The demand has escalated since the first of the year. This level of demand will probably not continue indefinitely but it will take some time for the agency to determine what that demand is on a continuing basis.

Having said that, the turn around time will probably never be as good as the UK. There is definitely room for improvement but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 03:29 AM

I agree that the extended times seems to correspond to the new requirements re-entering from MX, CA, etc as Barbara said. That must be a tremendous number of new people.

However, there really should be a much shorter option for those whose passport have been lost, stolen or damaged and have an urgent flying need. Certainly they wouldn't want to leave the impression that gov't is inept (har har).

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 03:44 AM

The UK used to have huge waiting times for passports too. But the gov't stepped in eventually and improved it all so that the turn around is so much better. It was never aproblem for me renewing at the consulate, but I think there used to be only one passport office for the UK and now there are several. Maybe if you all kick up enough of a stink that'll happen in the US too?
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:00 AM

Ten weeks to get a passport under the Bush Administration. My God, can’t they do anything right?
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Simple supply and demand here folks.

Everyone now needs a passport going to Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, by air effective 1/23/07. There is a significantly higher demand right now. They are working overtime to resolve the problem. Obviously, if you are traveling in a short amount of time, you could be hosed.

I propose there are many spring breakers and people with summer plans out there clogging up the system. Doesn't excuse, just explains in.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:15 AM

Simple supply and demand here folks.

Everyone now needs a passport going to Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, by air effective 1/23/07. There is a significantly higher demand right now. They are working overtime to resolve the problem. Obviously, if you are traveling in a short amount of time, you could be hosed.

I propose there are many spring breakers and people with summer plans out there clogging up the system. Doesn't excuse, just explains it.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:16 AM

oops. sorry for the double post. tried to fix a typo and posted twice. guess I don't really understand how to edit
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:18 AM

I renewed my passpsort in January, paying the expidite fee and received it in under 3 weeks.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Lovejoy, thanks for the heads up on this. Our son needs to renew for our trip in July. This info will get him to start the process ASAP.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Depending on where you live and how close it is to a passport issuing office, you can get this done fairly quickly, either by yourself of paying a company to stand in line, etc.... Not cheap, but worth it.

Just make sure your passport is not expiring within 6 months (some countries won't let you in) and take the time. In my case I had an unscheduled trip to Taiwan last year and turnaround expedite was less than 2 weeks.

Check the yellow pages if you need expediting.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Last year I renewed my passport, opted for regular, non-expedited, service and it took exactly 20 days from send-off to receipt.

I'm glad I did it then rather than now.

The fact that some people don't plan ahead does not constitute and "emergency" for evryone else.

Thank you, Lovejoy, for posting this new information; perhaps it will help some to do it now rather than at the last minute.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM

I agree with Dukey, lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on their part. Look at your passport and get it renewed well in advance and this should not be a problem. If a passport is lost or stolen the process can be expidited but it will cost some $$$. I fail to see how President Bush is personally responsible for this matter as I for one certainly hope he has more important things to take care of than whether or not I renewed my passport on time.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Oh cut the lectures about "not planning ahead."

It is NOT a lack of planning on my part if, as of just a few weeks ago, their website still claimed 1-2 weeks for expedited and 4-6 weeks for regular service, and advised people to go the expedited route only of traveling within 8 weeks. Many of us certainly would have paid the expedited fee had they given a more accurate estimate.

Not everybody can renew a whole year ahead-- some of us had to USE our passports!

Those of you who did renew a year ahead-- what's the new expiration date? 10 years from the renewal date or the original expiration date?
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 12:48 PM

When mine was expiring last spring I renewed it when there was still six months to go and it took over two months to get it back. Maybe they really don't want anyone leaving the US so are making it more and more difficult!
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM

With the cost of passports being what they are, many families probably choose not to obtain passports until they know for certain that they will be used. Further, many cruisers who hadn't planned on obtaining passports for this year are now changing their minds at the advice of travel agents and cruise companies. Although they don't technically need passports for cruises to Mexico yet, if there is a medical emergency and they must fly back to the US, there could be issues with doing so if the traveler does not have a passport. Many of the people standing in line for passports at the post office with me last weekend were obtaining passports for this reason. That's not necessarily waiting until the last minute - just not being fully informed and thinking about the possibilities far in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -