Passport Issue

May 16th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Passport Issue

Hi all - I'm not sure if any of you can answer this question but I figured I'd try. I got a passport 5 years ago, I'm leaving for Europe in 9 weeks and I just realized I lost my passport sometime in the last 5 years since I used it last.

Have any of you ever gone to a passport agency (same day passports office that you go to if you're departure is within 14 days) instead of going to the post office / county clerks office etc to get your passport? What kind of fees do they charge? My understanding is that even expedited US passports are taking 8 weeks right now which is way to close to my 9 week departure time. I'm just curious how much more it's going to cost me.

Any ideas??
May 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM

We did our passports about a month ago through our county clerk under expedite and we received them in about three weeks. I believe that the fees were about $155 each passport. They told us that the normal process was at 12 weeks.
May 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM

The latest reports are that it is slowing down from the winter season, which means it will pick up for the summer season.

If you live near a metropolitan area, check out expedite services.

Here is the State Department's site relating to expediting.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...first_831.html
May 17th, 2007, 01:26 AM

My husband ordered a passport (renewel) expedited last month and got in in less than two weeks. I think you would be fine doing expedited.
May 17th, 2007, 06:37 AM

I would pay one of the agencies. Basically the OP is doing a NEW passport. If you don't have the old one, you are starting over.
May 17th, 2007, 12:32 PM

For peace of mind, pay for extra $$$ for the expedite service.