Europe In Mid April - a blank slate

May 16th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Europe In Mid April - a blank slate

Hi all,

I have an extremely vague and tough question to ask. I am getting married in April of 2008 and have been given complete authority (or so she says) on the honeymoon. Originally, I had planned to do an Italy trip of Cinque Terre and then the lake region. However, after speaking to an Italian friend of mine, he advised me that northern italy could be very, very rainy in the month of April (save of course for this year).

So, I could always head south (Tuscany, Amalfi Coast, Rome), but it got me thinking. Based on when I am going (April 13-27th) of next year, what would be the ideal place to visit in Europe? I realize "ideal" is open to everyone's interpretation, but we would prefer being outside hiking, biking, and just enjoying the scenary rather than going to museums/churches (we are sort of Emily Dickinson people in her poem "some keep the sabath").

With that in mind, I wanted to get thoughts from all of you as to what you would think. Thanks soooo much for your help. I have already spent many hours on this forums and think they are great!!
May 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM
yk

I was in Germany (N. Bavaria) during that week in April THIS year. The weather was absolutely beautiful - high 60s to low 70s during the day. Sunshine every day.

Well, that's probably not the most scenic part of Europe, but how about Southern France (Provence) or Loire Valley; or the Romantic Road in Germany. Those are all great scenic spots.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.
May 16th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Take a look at these pics of SICILY and you will see why spring is magical there:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3828
May 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Bob-

Those photos are gorgeous! I'm looking at Sicily or Puglia for next year, third week in March. Any advice on where we might find more sun (cool weather is not a problem- just looking to avoid a week of rain if possible.) Thanks!
May 16th, 2007, 09:25 AM
nbujic

Spain.

May 16th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Having watched a programme about Sicily on the BBC last night I would second that suggestion. The programme was made around Eastertime, and it just looked so beautiful. My son is going in the summer and I'm now considering it myself for next year in the spring!
May 16th, 2007, 10:25 AM

As far south as you can get, basically. It was a very dry April in Europe this year, but you can't count on it happening again next year.

Malta is another option, or how about heading slightly further away to Morocco - it'll be decidedly Spring there and you could explore the Atlas mountains. And it'll be a nice exotic location for a honeymoon.
May 17th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input and keep them coming! Bob, thanks so much for sharing the pics! We actually live in CA and our "theme" for the wedding is the California Poppy so seeing all those poppies was really nice.

In regards to Cicily/Malta, does anyone know if there is cycling on the island. We are both avid cyclist and would like to do some of that on our trip.

Thanks again
May 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM

Ireland sounds perfect for you because the scenery is stunning with lots of great outdoor trips/bike rides, etc. There are no good museums in Ireland and the best attractions are walking around towns and the country side, and meeting the people. I haven't been in April, but you might want to ask questions from people who have been there. I know that a lot of visitors say that May is the ideal time to visit Ireland because it is beautiful, warm, not too rainy, and with little tourism - but I don't know how April compares.