Passport Advice Needed

Apr 27th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Passport Advice Needed

I will be travelling in Europe From May 12th through the 2nd of June. My passport is current but will expire July 5th. Someone told me that passports need to be valid for up to 6 months after the date of the trip ... is this true? If so I will have some footwork to do SOON.
Thanks!
Apr 27th, 2004, 06:15 AM

I would say - do not waste time and run to court house (wherever passports are taken care off in your area) and renew it. You have just about enough days.
Good luck
Apr 27th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Singletail

I've read that the validity "requirements" can vary (by country visited) from anywhere from three to six months after the visit.

My advice would be to go ahead and renew it now. I assume you already know that it can be done by mail and I also understand if you pay an additional fee the processing can be greatly "expedited" so perhaps someone will comment on that.

I am certain someone will give you their OWN honest and personal experience about how they traveled and theirs was about to expire and

1) nobody said anything
2) nobody checked
3) etc., etc.

so it is up to you, but I'd go ahead and get it over with.

Apr 27th, 2004, 06:53 AM

ejk....exactly where are you traveling? If you are going to Netherlands,Greece,Iceland,Luxembourg and or Norway, your passport must be valid for a period of 90 days beyond your expected travel to that country.You would be wise to take care of the extension of your passport validity asap...I hope this helps...
Apr 27th, 2004, 06:57 AM

I'd get it expedited. You can pick up the forms at the post office, get your pictures, and then look in the phonebook for expeditors. We had ours done through a local MAIL EXPRESS office, and I understand that places like that often do it.

Good luck-- and HURRY~!
Apr 27th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Be careful about the photos. My wife's got returned because the digital photos that were taken were dorked up (pixel wise) and the background wasn't white or cream color. I resubmitted and it took 8 days.

Just make sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing.
Apr 27th, 2004, 07:30 AM

I had the same problem. I am going to Austria and the Czech Republic and
my passport expires about 2 weeks after my return date.

The answer is - it depends on the country. Austria was fine as long as the passport was currently valid. Czech
Republic needed longer, (I forget how long). So I renewed it. There is a website for passport renewal and you can print up the form, it is www.travel.state.gov.
Apr 27th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Singletail

If you do a Google on passport renewal expedite there are many such services available on-line as well.

Apr 27th, 2004, 07:48 AM

Those commercial "expediting services" are completely unnecessary, and will only increase the time and money that your renewal takes. Instructions about expedited renewal are right on the passport web site:

http://travel.state.gov/passport_renewal.html
Apr 27th, 2004, 07:55 AM
ira

Hi ej,

Almost every country would want your passport to be good for at least 90 days after arrival. This is because you don't need a visa for 90 days or less.

I suggest you go to the website anonymous gave you.

You can download the proper forms there. They have "expedited service" which will get you your passport before your departure date.

Send in your passport "return receipt requested", so that youknow it arrived at the National Passport Center.

It took us 12 days from sending passport in to getting it back.
Apr 27th, 2004, 07:59 AM

I agree with ira - if you do not receive your new passport in 14 days call your Congressman/woman and have their office follow up.
Apr 27th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Another senior moment - Your leaving on May 12. Get it in the mail today and call your Congressman/woman in a week to follow up.