Venice to Rome by Train - park car?

Apr 25th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Venice to Rome by Train - park car?

We will be parking our car and staying in Venice for 3 nights. We would like to then take the ES train to Rome for a few days, leaving our car parked near Venice.
Can anyone give us advice on this? I've done some research and believe there is a main train station at Mestre where we can catch the ES to Rome. Is there a safe parking facility near the train station at Mestre? If yes, would you think it best to park our car there when we first arrive at Venice, then spend our 3 nights in Venice, use public transportation back to Mestre train station to catch train to Rome; then upon return from Rome, retrieve our car from the same place we parked it when we first arrived at Venice? Or would you suggest we park car first at Tronchetto structure; then move it to Mestre Train station?
Thanks for any help. We've never been to Italy and are trying to make sure we have all the details ironed out!
Apr 25th, 2004, 11:07 AM
ira

Hi amanda,

There is parking at the Pzza Roma in Venice.

The train from Venice to Rome starts from the Venice Santa Lucia (SL) station.

You don't have to bother with Mestre.

Apr 25th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Ira, that's exactly what I needed to know!
Apr 25th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Singletail

What you also need to know is that all the Eurostar trains as well as most others from venice to Rome stop at Maestre...so if parking is EASIER near that station, do so, otherwise, catch the train at Santa Lucia.

Apr 25th, 2004, 01:33 PM
rex

Is this a ar that you own? (i.e., you live in Europe, and are driving your own car there?)

Otherwise, perhaps you can enlighten those of us who are mystified - - why would you pay to rent a car and park it when you are not using it for five? six? days?

Maybe there is a reason, but I simply can't figure out what it is.

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 26th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Well, that's a good question! We have leased a car for a month which we will use daily except for those 5 days. We originally were not going to Rome, but have had a change of heart. Do not want to drive near/in Rome so thought we'd take the train from Venice.
But our latest thought is to drive from Venice to Orvieto and take the train from there to Rome because on our return to Orvieto to pick up the car, we will have a short 90 or so mile drive to our accomodations near San Giamagno. This will alleviate a lot of backtracking.
Any comments?
Apr 26th, 2004, 07:53 PM

i would get away from venice and then take the train, or i would drive most of the way to rome and then leave the car...depends where i would head to next....prices around venice are crazy...you might check with the rental company and see if you could leave the car with them at some locale (maybe for free???)
Apr 27th, 2004, 08:11 AM
ira

>...our latest thought is to drive from Venice to Orvieto and take the train from there to Rome...<

Excellent idea.