Additional pages for passport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I have to go down to Westwood (the passport office in L.A.) to get my needed extra passport pages. I no longer have two consecutive blank pages. Is there anyplace else other than where the passports are issued that I may get extra pages?

My passport is now about five years old (half its life expectancy). Perhaps I will discover that I have "lost" my passport and just get a new passport that will be valid for 10 more years, along with giving me a clean slate of pages?

(25 days and counting)

Thanks.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:37 PM

You can do it by mail, but with 25 days to go, you may not want to risk it.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 03:47 PM

Rocco,

I agree with napamatt. My husband just did the same thing for our upcoming trip and it took about 2 weeks.

I sent his passport via overnight delivery to the Atlanta address (I think) and it came back in a regular envelope about 2 weeks later.

You may just be better off "losing it" and getting a rush replacement in person. Besides, you can then keep the stamps of all the places you've visited

Cindy
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:04 PM

You can do it by overnight mail (or better yet Fedex both ways) and request expedited service for a $60(?) fee with 3 working day turn around. Including overnight mail both directions, this should take about one week. You'll need to include a self addressed prepaid envelop for the return.

You can also do this in person at the Westwood office but you need to make an appointment. They may be able to process it there for you the same day.

When you renew your passport in 5 years, request the larger 48 page one at the time of renewal. There's no additional charge and you'll need to include a signed affidavit requesting the larger passport.

I would NOT 'lose' your passport. You don't know what problems you might encounter later. I lost my passport on a trip to the Philippines in 1993 or 1994, can't remember which. Every time I return to the US, I get questioned about it. This last time, they were unable to clear me to re-enter the country at the regular immigration desks due to 'procedural changes'. I had to retrieve my checked luggage and head back to the interview room where I was asked additional questions before they could clear me to re-enter even though the incident happened over 10 years ago! Of course, it probably has something to do with the fact that it was the Philippines. Perhaps the red flag wouldn't have gone up if I'd lost it somewhere else.

I fear that if I lose my passport again, especially in a country like Kenya that we all know is a hotbed of terrorism they may never let me back into the country again. I'm only half joking.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:07 PM

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/add/add_850.html

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...first_831.html
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the very helpful responses!
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:50 PM

I chose to "expedite" my daughter's passport renewal and it was mailed to South Carolina. It still took nearly a month to get it. Better to go in person and not deal with the stress.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 10:27 PM

not sure why you need 2 consecutive pages esactly.

Aou can also do this at any consulate overseas/embassy. I did it in hong Kong in about 25 minutes. just walked in and fill out the form.

Also about "loosing" it. thats not required when you get a new one they punch a hole in the magnetic strip on the old one and give it back to you.

-J
Old Aug 6th, 2005, 02:25 AM
sandi

I too had used up most of the pages in the standard passport half way thru the term of 10-years. So I sent it in for the added pages, form can be downloaded from the passport site, there is no charge. Believe I had mine back within 2-weeks.

But with 25-days to go, you can go to your local office (by appointment) or mail it in with expedite service.

The rep I spoke with when I was in this situation suggested renewing the passport, but with more then half the time remaining I chose not too.

Besides, if you now decide to renew, while the renewal prices is reasonable, they've added a $12 Security charge for new and renewals. So I'd contact the local office and if they can do it there... do that.

As to the 2-facing pages. Well, they didn't use them when I arrived in SA, and may not have for you or others, but that's the requirement. There was a recent post here on Fodor's about a group travleing to SA and half of them didn't have these facing pages and had to, at their own expense travel to Wash DC, (they were already in ATL for departing flight) and then had to meet up with the group a day later. The SAA check-in agent just may not allow you on your flight. Don't chance it.

So add the pages if you have the time or get a new one - expedite whichever.

Old Aug 6th, 2005, 07:59 PM

It sounds like your safest bet is a trip to Westwood..... (awwwe come on Rocco, it isn't that far from Pasadena, yes traffic stinks, but the best time to go down there is from 10:00 to 2:00 pm- plan it so you will definitely be out towards your neck of the woods before 3pm. The 405 gets heavy starting then! (I have to go to UCLA three times a week ;-() Suzi
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Rocco, I've added pages to my current pages three times and I've always used a service (like Express Visa -- you'll find plenty if you google). You pay them a fee and they do the legwork for you. Add the pages -- no need to get new passport. Plus, I don't know how many pages you requested in your original passport (they offer a "thin" and "thick" version and give the thin version unless you request the one with more pages), but no need to throw out passport.

By the way, I'm currently in Ukraine, and they have a very tiny entry stamp.

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Michael,

Thanks...I much prefer the idea of paying someone else to do the legwork for me!

Have a great time in Ukraine!