Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Part 2 of The 2.5 Month trip to Spain...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 8th day we headed to GUADALUPE, SPAIN which is in the Extremadura Region, Caceres Province.

This three hour drive is long as the land is not as scenic. We did see lots of animals and farmers.

HOTEL: PARADOR De Guadalupe Caceres
Exquisite!!!! {Terribly EXPENSIVE}

While very pleased with all of our trip destinations, sights, hotel and restaurants this Parador, our first of many, pushed things well over the top.

Our room was massive, elaborate and a 15th Century architectual dream come true. We barely wanted to leave or room but, dinner was waiting...

Dinner at the Parador was magical and perfect. The white linen EVERYTHING was so romantic. The food and wine were unforgetable. We could hardly wait for breakfast!
Breakfast was huge but we did not complain. We had a major day of sightseeing.

GUADALUPE CACERES HIGHLIGHTS:
The Sanctuary and Monastery of Santa Maria De Guadalupe, Touring our Parador, Shopping for Cooper. I collect copper for my kitchen. This was a MAJOR shopping day for me. Guadalupe is the copper capital of Spain!!!

We headed to Trujillo, Spain which is 155 miles SW of Madrid. Trujillo is the Cradle of Conquisitadors, has an impressive Plaza Mayor and Castle!
We learned how narrow the "streets" can get. At one point he had to fold in the side mirrors of our sedan to get out of town!
Major HOT weather so we had delicious ice cream breaks.

Early that evening we arrived in CACERES, SPAIN. WOW.

HOTEL: PARADOR DE CACERES
Take everything I said about the Parador in Guadalupe and times that by 10!
This Parador is in the center of town. It is a massive 16th century Palace. Our room was indescrible. The numerous courtyards, patios, gardens and balconies were delightful.

DINING: El Figon de Eustacvio. Delicious trout and steak. $50.00 USA. This place was intimate and fun.

Day 10: CACERES, SPAIN

We hit the outstanding museums with a passion: Junta De Extremadura-Museo Caceres and La Troya. We had a great lunch at Meson Sanson which was near our Parador.

That afternoon we made our way into PORTUGAL.
The drive was BEAUTIFUL and easy! We headed to Marvao, Portugal staying at the:
POUSADA DE SANTA MARIA in Marvao.

We enjoyed a four room suite that was quite romantic.

Our dinner at The Pousada was very nice.
Marvao was having a FESTIVAL so we were sure to enjoy that!

That night we pretty much hung out and met a family that told us about another Festival in Campo Major, Portugal.
I am a planner and this was not in the plans so I told my hubby if he really wanted to go that we had to cut the sleep-in and hit the road.
If I had only knew what we were in for...

Day 11 Marvao, Portugal...CAMPO MAJOR, PORTUGAL:

We are some very lucky folks. This "not-in-the-plans" FESTIVAL was in deed the largest flower festival in all of Portugal.
The Festas Do Povo occurs only once in two years. It is a beautiful, beautiful "village" of nearly a million colorful paper flowers.

Now see, that description I provide does this festival no justice, but believe me, this festival is a do-not-miss.
We walked, amd walked and walked for 6 hours surrounded by beautiful, decorative and awesome hand made paper flowers.
We ate, drank and took a complete roll of 36 film while at this event.
We had to tear ourselves away as we needed to get to LISBOA, PORTUGAL before night fall...

Giddy with joy and dizzy from the sights we made it to our hotel in Lisbon.

HOTEL:HOTEL EXCELSIOR
Inexpensive, centrally located and turned out to be in our top ten for resons below...

After locating a parking space very near the front of our basic hotel, we were rushing around, trying to figure out what luggage to leave in the car, to take up etc.
We had booked a FADO Show ($85.00)and needed to shower, dress and get there!
We hailed a cab and my husband was chatting away with the cabbie. I rushed into the show to check in and a few minutes later hubby came in.
We enjoyed our TOURISTY Show and learned all about the FADO style of entertainment.
The food was fine but the time we had laughing and all was what made this great.
We hailed a cab back home, were laughing and planning our evening when all "TRAVELHELL" broke loose as follows:

As we get to our hotel my husband says: "Do you have our (rental) car keys?"
I of course say "no, you ALWAYS keep them."
...I'll fast forward...

Some how my darling husband had LOST the keys to our TRANSPORTATION, STORAGE VEHICLE and OUR MONEY and VALUABLES...all locked in this car.

In our best PORTUGESE we tried to call all of the cab companies(could not remember the name of ours and you know who forgot to get a reciept...) to see if they had a lost and found. And in our best SPANISH we spent hours trying to call the rental car place in MADRID, SPAIN to try and get another key for our vehicle... This was a nightmare.

The Hotel staff literally dropped EVERYTHING to make calls for us and to console me as I was crying buckets trying to kill my husband with me eyeballs...did not work, thank GOD.

At some unmentionable hour my husband said that he would sit by our window and keep his eye on our car to make sure no one had found the key and had figured out that the key belonged to our car.[Made sense at the time.]

Groggy and beyond angry I knew we had to do something different when sun rise came.
The folks in MADRID, SPAIN said it would take a day to bring us a key. We had 2.5 months BUT, not a day to wait on a key.
I cried and cried and the Hotel manager said he had a solution.

Bottom line: We got a lift to the LISBON Airport(watch it now...) and pled our disasterous situation to the rental car people. After an hour they said ok, we will give you a new car, at no additional charge(!!!!) so that you may continue your vacation.

I am a detail person...GRATEFUL, but how the heck am I(oops...I me we) suppose to continue our trip without alllll my stuff that is still locked in the car???Hellooooo.

My husband and this guy found something funny. My death stare to the husband did not faze him so that night would surely be his last with me...believe it!

We loaded ourselves into a new and nice, yet somewhat smaller car. The luggage area had no cover and the stereo was a radio...I fell apart...rendered motionless. I tried through my tears, snot and frustration to explain how important these "little things" were to me.
A lady from the car rental car to my aid. She sent back that car, gave me a tall glass of PORT(before noon!!!). She did not have a car with a luggage cover but she did have one with the cassette tape player. Once consoled, off we went with a tow truck behind me.
My husband ain't completely crazy, so he rode with the tow truck driver.
We arrived at our hotel. The staff had watched the car for us. The World Expo was being held in LISBON, PORTUGAL so lots of small crimes were occurring in the city especially around cars with SPAIN license plates...

In short the tow truck driver kept whacking and hacking at the window with a heavy tool. He finally smashed the window. Everyone who was not at EXPO was certainly on the scene watching.
Upon smashing the window people started celebrating and patting my husband and offering him drink. I must say...despite being happy to get into our car, get my things and continue with our DREAM VACATION, that I was livid!
We had experienced enough of my "drama" so I put on the happy-wife-face and tried to imagine how I would get away with murder in Portugal! GIGGLE
We got things organized, said our sincere prayers and I pretended to forgive my husband so off we went to the fabulous WORLD EXPO in LISBON, PORTUGAL.

Upon arrival at the EXPO I diplomatically asked hubby for the keys and made sure that everything (all of our luggage) was covered with a nice hotel provided blanket. They were soooo nice!

We spent the afternoon and evening at the World Expo and the large parade and stiil did not see it all.
By night time I had asked GOD to forgive me for my rage and anger that had now subsided.
We had dinner and cocktails at one of the lovely yet overly expensive,sea side restaurants at EXPO.

Late that night, while on our way to spend the night in SINTRA, PORTUGAL, I asked my darling and somewhat forgiven hubby for our invaluable and very expensive Michelin Guide...
He gave me a look as if he had been kicked in the stomach.."I think I Left It On The Hotel COUNTER" he muttered.
I politely excused myself, trying not to voluntairly jump into the sea and called the hotel.
My husband had indeed left our Michelin Guide on the counter.
It had unfortunately been taken my another tourist...

Writing this has drained me...

I will continue this trip report a little later...I am sure you understand (I really am LAUGHING now...REALLY)

My Best,
Oaktown Traveler

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Hi Oaktown,

This sounds like it's gonna be a trip to tell about for years. I'm laughing at your reactions to the car keys, car replacement, and map since they're about what mine would be. Keep up the report - it's great. I haven't been to Spain or Portugal so I'm living vicariously and loving it.

By the way, could you post everything together so the story could stay intact? Just post (copy and paste) the second segment as a reply to the initial post and keep doing that as you write.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Adrienne:

Glad you are enjoying the report.
I have tried the cut and paste and I am not computer savy.

I have also tried the big LONG report and it either disappears after I write it and hit post or no one responds cause it's too long.

Also, I am writing this in between other task(fixing dinner) so I don't want to hold up the process. Hope that makes sense.

Writing a report like this non-stop would also be like me trying to hold my breath under water for the whole time...
I can't...giggle

My Best,
Oaktown Traveler
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Hi Oaktown, what can I say - I am entertained. The paradores sound wonderful. Your adventure with the car will be one you will relate many a time. On to part 1.
Sue
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Olchard:

The Paradores are incredible. See if you can take a look at them on a web site.

I have more to write and the Paradors that I have yet to tell you about top all the others(!).

I am glad you are enjoying the reading.
I can not believe that I had not taken the time to write my report.
I am going to be sure and put this in the family archives...

My Best,
Oaktown Traveler
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 09:58 AM
rex

To go directly to part three, click here...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34466721

Best wishes,

Rex