Reload this Page >

Parking in Venice

Search

Parking in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Adam

Parking in Venice

I'm doing a European pick-up of a car in Germany. We will drive to Venice and spend 3 nights there. The big parking lot apparently is Tronchetto.<BR><BR>How secure is it? I'd like to bring my car home in one piece.<BR><BR>Do you get discounts for parking from the hotels in Venice?<BR><BR>Are there other parking options that I should be aware of?<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 11:32 AM
dean

can't help you an the discounts part as we always stay at an apartment when we visit Venice. Tronchetto is a big parking facility on a separate island just aacross the causeway leading to Venice. When we have used Tronchetto we drop our luggage at Piazzale Roma wher eyou can get right by the landing for the Vaporetto or Water Taxi. This is easier than trying to lug everything to the Tronchetto stop on the vaporetto and cuts down the trip considerably. <BR><BR>The garage has some security but is like any large parking lot you would find at an airport. Somewhat secure but not super secure. It runs about $20.00 a day or even more. <BR><BR>We always take a water taxi to our apartment as the vaporetto stop is not too convieient and the idea of hauling our luggage over the stepped bridges is not the way we like to start our stay. A water taxi costs about $70.00 but its a decadent way to start your visit to La Seranissima. There is something very James Bond like about standing up in the back of the water taxi and seeing Venice from water level with the wind blowing in your hair.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Bob

We parked our rental car in Troncheto and had no problem, just did not leave anything in the car that anyone could see. As this will be your personal car I would be sure your insurance was good.Our hotel did give out coupons that were good for a discount on parking. Just ask where you are staying if they do the same thing. The garage is large. If you park at the far end you will be closer to the vaparetto stop that will take you into Venice. It will save a few steps. Check this out when you arrive and you will see what I mean.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Al

If you park your car, do what I do to discourage break-ins. Buy a local-language newspaper and leave it on one of the seats along with a well-worn pair of leather gloves. Hide all maps and anything else that says "tourist" within your locked car. Be particularly careful to remove food wrappers, candy wrappers, personal letters, or other litter.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Georgine

Adam,<BR><BR>We do not use Tronchetto for car parking on our visits to Venice; rather, we use a lot in Mestre (4.5 miles before Venice). The parking lot, which is gated and has 24 hour per day security, is located directly across the street from the main entrance to the Mestre train station. The cost is significantly less expensive than Tronchetto(about $4.00 US per day--- and even cheaper for stays over 3 days).<BR><BR>The gates are locked at night and there is a guard on duty. They also have an enclosed building within thefenced/ gated area.<BR><BR>For a few extra lire per day, you may be able to use the indoor rather than the outdoor parking. Usually cars being parked for more than three days are parked inside.<BR><BR>From the lot, you walk across the street<BR>(and for less than $2.00) take the next train to Venice's Santa Lucia Station.<BR><BR>Every train into Venice stops in Mestre, so you never wait more than 10 minute for a train. The journey time is less than 10 minutes. <BR><BR> Upon exiting the station in Venice, you all but walk into the Grand Canal from the station steps. Vaporettas depart from this area to all destinations in Venice. Motoscafas are also available, if you want a faster and more expensive ride.<BR><BR>We have used the Mestre lot on three separate trips to Venice and have been very pleased. Never an incident or problem.<BR><BR>As an added incentive to dissuade thieves, we have been carrying a small steering wheel club with us to use on our rentals.<BR><BR>What thief is going to mess with a car <BR>"club" if there are easier picking close by.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Holly

If you don't mind staying on Lido, you can probably find a hotel there that has parking available, or at least nearby.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Rex

I don't wish to contradict you, Holly, but I've taken a car to Lido, and I've parked cars twice on Tronchetto, and I would not advise choosing a hotel on Lido just for that purpose.<BR><BR>You miss too much of the essence of Venice doing that.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Holly

Well, that's why I worded it "If you don't mind staying on Lido". I think the implication was that staying in Venice "proper" was preferable, but Adam's not talking about a rental car here.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 01:00 AM
Matt

Georgine, do you know of any website that shows this good parking lot in Mestre? How many cars does it fit approx.? How full has it been for you usually?

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:36 AM

to the top

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Georgine

Adam,<BR><BR>We have parked at this lot in the months of May, July and November ----and never had a problem getting a space.<BR><BR>I would approximate this lot holds about 120 to 200 cars. There is also another lot about one block further north on the street (Via della Giustizia)that was recently built, and is at least as large (if not larger) than the one we have been using.<BR><BR>It is very easy to get to the lot, which is only about 1 or 2 miles off the Tangenziale (ring road around Venice).<BR><BR>Hint: For a map, go to the web site for the Best Western Hotel Bologna in Venezia/Mestre--click on: Map/Weather to see the location of the station . Looking at the map, the lot we use is directly across the street from the Stazione on Via della Giustizia, and the new lot/garge would be slightly to the left of the station's main entrance(about a half-block walk), but also on the opposite side of the street.<BR><BR>If you have any concerns about finding the lot, I can give you more detailed directions for getting off the Tangenziale and to the station.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Jim

Adam<BR>The parking lot that Georgine is referring to is called Brega and is located at Piazzale Stazione 23 <BR>Tel: +39 041926478<BR>The one a little bit up the block is called Parcheggio both of which are near the train station.<BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Adam

Thanks for the responses everyone.<BR><BR>I e-mailed my hotel and they recommend parking in Garage San Marco.<BR><BR>Where is that and has anyone parked there?

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Matt

Georgine & Jim, thanks for your replies after mine. Georgine, I would assume that you were replying to my questions. I have another for either one of you. Do you have to give anyone your car keys in the Mestre parking lot? Do you need to leave your car unlocked? I heard somewhere that in some Venice parking you have to do these things. Thanks.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Surlok

Adam,<BR><BR>I've made a search on Google, and this is what I've found:<BR><BR>http://www.ciaovenezia.com/a/parking.htm<BR><BR>Otherwise, check the results yourself at:<BR><BR>http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=Garage+San+Marco+venice&hc=0&hs=0<BR><BR>R egards,<BR><BR>S

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Matt

Matt,<BR><BR>We did not have to give our keys to anyone on our last trip. We parked in the assigned space given to us by the attendant. Locked the vehicle, got our receipt, and took the keys with us.<BR><BR>On our first trip (many years ago), you had to leave you keys -- and that was because they were constantly moving cars around to let people out. <BR><BR>Since then, the lot has been redesigned and there is no longer a necessity for moving vehicles around.<BR><BR>Georgine

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:01 AM
Matt

Georgine, could you give me some detailed directions to the train station? Thanks.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:17 PM
Rex

Matt,<BR><BR>I really think that you will find the train stattion so centrally located, and parking all around it that it is superfluous to give you directions.<BR><BR>not a snide answer - - but really, you will do fine just following the signs (picture symbol of train station).<BR>