Parking In Rome

Old Sep 18th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking In Rome

hey. . . me and my gf are driving from Göttingen, Germany to Rome. We are staying at the Youth Station hostel and want to stash our car and rely on bus transportaion. Are there any safe streets to park our car on for 4 days around Piazza Bologna??
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 07:28 AM

Use Google Earth to explore area.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 07:34 AM

The safest is a paid parking lot. The closest to Piazza Bologna is at Via Re Tancredi, 3.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

I am assuming no matter where we stash our car there is a risk of theft. My plan is to buy a "club" and park it on a residental street. The cheapest way to park the better
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 03:24 AM
J62

I did a quick google maps street view walk around the Piazza Bologna/Youth station hoste.. The limited on-street parking I see is all metered parking, 1 Euro / hour from 8am to 7pm. All the spots were full in this snapshot. I think you can wish and pray that you'll find an on street spot they buy a or you can plan ahead and locate a garage in advance.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 04:46 AM

I've spent many months in Rome on business and stayed many times at the Mercure hotel close to Piazza Bologna. I usually had a hire car and got used to driving and parking in Rome. Take it from me, on-street parking is all metered and it's very difficult to find a space, especially if you're a newcomer. Fortunately my hotel had a small underground garage - the few times I had to park on the street were tough. If it were me, I'd re-think the whole idea of bringing your car to Rome and would look for other means of transport.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 03:54 AM

Seems to me you are voluntary engaging in more pain than you need to (buying a "club", looking for a rare open parking spot....?). Why aren't you using public transport?
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:20 AM

Piazza Bologna is a pretty ok area, if you don't drive a fancy car you should be fine and it won't be stolen. Look at the streets, pick one that looks nice. A garage will be quite pricey. If you have german plates chances are if you get a ticket it won't arrive all the way to Germany. Last time i was in Parioli which is the neighborhood next to Piazza Bologna they didnt have paid parking anymore, if there are blue lines but the signs are covered it means its free. Its Rome, do like the romans, don't worry.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

It's crazy driving here first off.... The thing I learned right away is that when in Rome drive like a mad man... just try not to scrape paint!! we managed to park along with everyone else but the lines are yellow, which I believe is handicap parking.... we are about to go find some blue line parking and just pay the dues cuz the chances of finding a white line spot is virtually impossible.