Parking in Rome

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking in Rome

Hello everyone,
We are going to Italy for ten days starting next weekend and will be staying in Rome for two of those days. We will have a rental car and will need to park it for those two days. Our hotel is about two blocks from Piazza d. Repubblica. We have been told that there is a private garage near our hotel and that you can park on the street for 1 Euro per hour. Does anyone know how much private garages cost and what the logistics of parking on the street are? What is the maximum period of time that you can pay for at once while street parking? Or, are there any parking lots near the train station?
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Hi petvetmom, when we had a rental car in Rome my late husband always had the hotel park it in a garage as we were not going to use it while in Rome.

Also, some people have parked at the longterm parking lot at FCO and than taken the train into Rome. But for two days I would just ask the hotel to have one of their employees drive it to the garage and retrieve it for you when you are ready to leave. Well worth the tips plus the cost of the garage of course. That always worked just fine for us. Have a wonderful time in Italy!!
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM

The logistics of parking on the street are hell. I wouldn;t even attempt to deal with Roman parking rules (despite the fact that they seem to park in all directions, up on the sidewalks etc. I think their are unspoken rules on this that may involve exchange of money.)

Simply put the car in a garage (ask the hotel what it will cost). Whatever it is, your piece of mind will be worth it. (And I would tell you the same in New York.)
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Since you are at Piazza Republica why don't you pick up your car after your two day stay and save two days of your rental. You can pick it up at the train station which is walking distance from Piazza Republica. There is a parking garage on the north side of the train station, also.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I really appreciate your willingness to take time to respond to questions like mine.
Sincerely,
Petvetmom
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Hi petvetmom, the way I read your post was that you would be in Rome for 2 days somewhere in the middle of your trip in Italy. If you are arriving in Rome and will be in Rome the first few days I sure agree with Ann, pick up your rental car after your visit to Rome. Or if you will be in Rome at the end of the trip turn the car in before staying in Rome. We were always in Rome during our trip so consequently had the rental car.