Parking in Rome

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking in Rome

We will be driving into Rome as part of a longer journey. We have rented an apartment near the Campo de' Fiori for seven days.

I would really appreciate advice about where we might park our car, because we are told that parking in our neighborhood is limited to permanent residents.

My assumption is that we will have to locate a car park somewhere further out to leave the car for the week of our visit. So, any information you might offer concerning carpark locations and costs would be very helpful.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
J62

Can you turn in the rental car for the week you don't need it? Save on rental car fees and parking for a car you're not going to use.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Consider parking at Fiumicino; they offer a 7-day special (Multi-Storey E is probably safer) that is probably a lot less than you would pay at a guarded parking in Rome.
http://www.adr.it/content.asp?L=3&IDMEN=364

There is a parking garage called Parcheggio di Villa Borghese (near the Villa Borghese, obviously) where a lot of car-rental agencies have pick-ups and drop-offs, but I couldn't find a Web site for them. Their telephone number is listed as +39 06 322 5934.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Oh, I forgot, for parking lots near Metro stations, look at:
www.atac.roma.it

(The site is down at the moment; I think you can click on Parcheggi on the left.)

These would not be guarded parking lots.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Check into long-term parking at Ciampino airport also -- smaller, closer to Rome, and in a different direction from FCO. See which better suits your itinerary.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

This is part of a several month retirement trip to Europe. We are leasing a car thru the Renault long-term deal, so a turn-in is not an option.

I'll check both airports, although we will have to factor in the cost of traveling back into Rome after parking, and then traveling back to the airport to retrieve the car.

Once I have the costs for the Parcheggio di Villa Borghese and for the airports, I'll post them for anyone else that may find themselves in this situation.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 06:40 AM
ira

Hi K,

You drive to your apt. Unload the car.

One of you drives to FCO, leaves the car and returns to Rome TE or Rome Tiburtina on the train. 11.E to Rome TE, about 9E to Tiburtina.

A cab back is about 50E.

Bus maps for Rome are at www.atac.roma.it

The Ciampino bus is at www.terravision.eu

The Rome metro map is at
www.romebuddy.com/givesadvice/subwayroutes.html

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 07:02 AM

Your rental agent should be able to tell you a the location of a city garage as opposed to driving to the airport. You will be paying a dear price but it's better than making an excursion all the way out to the airport. It might be nicer to have the car close by.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Hello Kelly, using Google and typing Public Parking Garages, Rome, Italy in the search box brought up many websites. Here is one of them.

http://www.initaly.com/regions/latium/parking.htm

You will note at the bottom of the screen you can click on "Updates".
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 12:28 PM

A few corrections:

You *cannot* drive to the apartment and unload luggage at most times of the day on most days. Go to www.atac.roma.it, click ZTL, the Mappe e orari, then diurne for day and notturne for night.

The Terravision bus (Ciampino or Fiumicino) is only for the use of passengers of certain budget airlines. Public transport from Ciampino is complicated; cabbies at Ciampino are notorious for demanding more than the official fixed rate of 30 Euro.

The official fixed fare from FCO to central Rome is 40 Euro; www.romeshuttlelimousine.com will transfer up to 3 people with luggage for 35 Euro.

Roma Tiburtina is at the back of beyond. The FR1 train to Roma Trastevere costs 5.50 Euro, the tram No. 8 from there to Largo Argentina near Campo de Fiori costs 1 Euro.

Incidentally, you can click through to the Web site for the Villa Borghese parking garage through the link provided by LoveItaly: http://www.sabait.it/
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 12:32 PM

We parked in a garage near trevi fountain but I can't remember the exact location. It would be fairly close to Campo.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Zerlina, several years ago we took a public bus from Ciampino to a stop on one of the metro lines (A?)and then took that into the city. Other than it was cheap, that's all I can remember. Do you think that's still an option?
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Jean, Yes, the bus to Anagnina Metro station option still works; 1.20 Euro for the bus, 1 Euro for the Metro.

There is now another bus shuttle service from Ciampino to Roma Termini:
http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/
Fare is 6 Euro.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to know. Thanks, Zerlina!
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM

“Terminal Gianicolo (not too far from St. Peter's)
Open 7 am - 1:30 am
Entrance in Piazza della Rovere/Via Gregorio VII
This may be the most convenient structure, because there is an electric bus, #116, which has its terminal right inside the structure and goes every seven minutes to Via Giulia, Campo dei Fiori, Corso Vittorio Emanuele, the Pantheon, Via del Tritone and P.zza Barberini. If you plan to avail yourself of this very simple system, be sure to stop at a tobacco shop or newsstand before you enter the car park, to purchase bus tickets.” initaly.

We used this parking some years ago and the electric bus was very handy to return to our apartment near Campo dei Fiori. It is a little bit expensive but the location is very convenient.

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 04:26 PM

I would take the local (F1) train from the airport to Trastevere train station plus #8 tram up to the Campo de' Fiori area. As Zerlina notes this would be 6.5 euros pp . These trains leave the airport at the track opposite the Leonardo Express (which goes to Termini station), run frequently and are easy to find.

I would not recommend driving into Rome to unload your car

Old Jun 13th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Parking at the airport is probably the most economical- especially if you choose the closer airport and long term parking. We left off our rental at the Fiumacino AP garage last year and as we had a fair amount of luggage asked the rental co. to call a cab for us - the cab picked us up at the rental office in the garage...it was swell until we got to our Rome hotel and the cabbie informed us that the fee for entering the garage to pick us up was - I think - more that 20 EU on top of the fare! Just a heads-up.