Parking in French Wine Country ($$$)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems as if many of the 3-4 star hotels in Provence and Burgundy charge pretty steep rates for parking (10-30 Euros/night), which can really add up for travelers driving their way up the Rhone river.<BR><BR>Does anyone have any tips to avoid these pesky charges (e.g., good hotels with free parking or other alternatives)? Is parking really that difficult? <BR><BR>I can understand such charges in a difficult-to-park city, but 20 Euros to park in a hilltop town seems outrageous.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 05:56 PM
pop

I can't speak to Burgundy but I never had such problems in Provence. Often times there are public parking areas, especially where they hold their &quot;markets&quot;. You do not have to park at the hotel. Even when I did have to pay for parking (in the cities), I never paid over 10 Euros.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:00 PM

I've never, ever encountered this phenomenon. What hotels are you talking about? Whichever, I'm sure if they are in a town, you can find parking nearby. If they're in the country, well, parking shouldn't even be an issue.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 08:38 AM

Jackson,<BR><BR>I generally agree with St. Cirq. I have never experienced parking charges in Provence or Burgundy.<BR><BR>II have , however, run in to it in Normandy. The Hotel Cheval Blanc advertises parking available but did not specify that it was metered parking running about 15 euros a day. <BR><BR>There are enough hotels offering free parking. You should be able to locate one close to where you want to visit. Good to inquire &quot;Is parking free?&quot;<BR><BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>Anthony <BR><BR>
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:33 AM

I've never paid for parking at a hotel in Provence, either, but there are some small city lots in some of those highly-visited cities closed to traffic that charge (Gordes, as I recall). But the charge is small, a couple euro maybe. I haven't stayed at a lot of hotels in Provence with a car, true, but I never paid when I did. <BR><BR>If you are picking a hotel dead city-center, that might be the problem because of lack of real estate. You want an example? ok, I stayed at Mas d'Entremont just outside Aix, a wonderful 4* hotel with free parking. I stayed at the 2* Hotel l'Hermitage just outside a very small town, Perles-les-Fontaines in the Vaucluse, and it had free parking which was even guarded.<BR><BR>I suspect from your remark about hilltop towns (of which very few allow driving) that you are trying to stay in expensive hotels in some of the top tourist cities closed to traffic (like Gordes). As I recall, le Pigonnet just on the edges of Aix, a lovely hotel, has free parking also www.hotelpiggonet.com<BR>Another lovely 4* hotel I was considering near the Luberon at Baumettes (just south near N99, very near Gordes), the Bastide des Cinq Lys also had free private parking<BR>http://www.bastide-des-5-lys.fr/index.htm<BR><BR>I never found one that did charge for parking, and I considered a lot of hotels in Provence.