Parking in Cortona

Search

Parking in Cortona

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking in Cortona

I have read that there is a free parking lot ("lower lot") that has an escalator up to Piazza Garibaldi/Piazza Carbonaia in Cortona. Is this true and where exactly is the parking lot with the escalator. Is it on Via Nazionale? Detailed information would be greatly appreciated. We will be driving in from Chiusi on the S71. Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 11:16 PM

Although I cannot help you with exact location and directions, I can tell you that YES it is true. There IS such a free parking lower lot and there are several escalators which take you up to the main piazza. We just asked for directions and Cortona is not a bit town so you should not have too much trouble. Cortona is magical !!
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Flame 123
I am so looking forward to Cortona and Tuscany! It is good to know that the parking lot and the escalators exist! If any Fodorite has additional information re: directions and/or location of the lower parking lot - anything would be helpful! Ciao
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Help Fodorites! Does anyone have any additional information about the lower parking lot in Cortona that has an escalator to upper levels?
Thanks
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Dang, all I can say is I missed that one! I parked about half way up in a large public lot and hiked the rest of the way. After lunch, I climbed all the way up to the beautiful church at the top of town. Of all the hilltowns I've visited so far, Cortona was the steepest.

the things we learn here.
Old Mar 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Hey Dayle -
That's why I am hoping there is a Fodorite out there who knows more than I do about this elusive lower parking lot! There is no way my traveling companion will want to climb any hills let alone the steepest hills in Cortona! HELP!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 08:51 AM

mac,

As you approach the town, I would just try for the first public parking lot you see and check it out. They are usually pretty easy to find and are marked with the blue & white P signs.

Once I got to the top (and I recommend visiting this church, it's gorgeous) I saw there was a parking lot right there! I think the road winds all around the town, going up like a spiral! Don't hesitate to explore a little, you can always go back down (usually).
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle - I will take your advice! I sent an e-mail to Cortona Tourist Information but have not heard anything back yet. If I get any additional info I will post it here!
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM

We used the parking lot with the escalator. I don't remember where it was located. I believe we found directions and/or a map in the Rick Steve's Tuscany guide book. And I think you still have to use steps to get from the parking lot to the road and then take the escalator.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM

Yes there are some steps from the parking lot (not a lot though) which takes you to a road and you have to cross that road, go up some more to get to the escalator. It is not without some effort but it certainly is better than hiking all the way up. Indeed Cortona is THE steepest hill town that I have experienced, and I have seen many many both in Tuscany and Umbria. But is is truly spectacular and worth every huff and puff.
Old Mar 17th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

SCFoodie and Flame123 - Thanks a bunch! I found the reference in Rick Steves' Florence & Tuscany Book! Pg. 402 at the top -Viale Batistti...take the escalator...We are all set to manage Cortona. Thanks again to all who responded! It takes a village!
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 03:04 AM

Now that you write the actual name of the street, it DOES sound familiar. I am pretty sure that was the one. And by the way, we had a great dinner at a place called Il Grotto. It is on a little side street in the main piazza. If you are standing facing the church it would be on your left a bit before the church. Have a great time.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 07:09 AM

On several trips to Cortona I just kept driving up and up as far as I could get and eventually found parking near the church at the very top. It is incredibly steep. The parking lots are clearly marked - you'd have to be blind to miss them, so it really won't be an issue.

I have to disagree with whoever said Cortona is magical, though. I thought it was one of the biggest tourist traps I'd ever been in. It was a lot nicer in the fall than it was in summer, though. In summer, it's like being at a large American mall.