Search

Paris with kids

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris with kids

We plan on spending 2-4 days in Paris to show kids the sights in August.
Driving up from family home in Brittany to CDG, before flight back to US.
What are your suggestions, please?
1. Sheraton or similar at CDG, drop rental car, take train in each day?
2. Hotel in Paris, if so what are the recommendations, pls?
3. Use family home in Croissy sur Seine -- what are the transport options, particualrly late evening like, and should we keep the car in this instance?

Girls will be nearly 8 and 10. Experienced travelers, bilingual.
Girls want to see Tour Eiffel, Arc de T and Mona Lisa!
What else should be on thier itinerary?

Thanks so much
Julie
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 05:35 PM

I highly recommend picking up a copy of Fodor's "Around Paris with Kids". It was my "bible" for my recent trip to Paris with my 9 year old daughter.It gives very complete discussions of the major and minor sites and parks as well as restaurant suggestions. As we were there in December I will leave specific suggestions to those who have experience with Paris in the summer. I will say though that as a smaller venue, we really enjoyed the Doll Museum. It will be a lovely time to enjoy the parks and gardens - enjoy!
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:23 PM

I wrote a report about a trip to Paris last April with my 6 yr old granddaughter. Click on my name if you would like to read it. It was my granddaughter's first trip overseas so she was wide-eyed over everything; your girls are probably more accustomed to life in France.

One thing I don't think I mentioned in the report that was lots of fun for her was keeping a journal from the time we left home. Since she was only in kindergarten hers was mostly pictures, drawings, ticket stubs, etc., but it is a lovely keepsake.

Happy planning!

Travellingmom3, I'd love to read a full report of your trip; I've been looking for it!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 04:26 AM

grandmere - Your interest is spurring me on to write it! Now that the holidays are over and children are back to school I'm excited to have the time to focus on it.Hopefully this weekend... it was a very wonderful trip!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Grandmere
I recall perusing last Fall, I will now go back and take careful notes, thanks for reminding me of this report!
Travellingmom
Out to get the book tomorrow, will have my 9 yr old read it (a real bookworm) and let me know what she thinks!
Love the Hotel, looks like one to recommend to hubbie for business but probably not able to accomodate 4 to a room on this trip!
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 02:29 PM

Paris Muse offers family tours of Paris. We took their "Muse Clues" family tour of the Louvre back in June, 2007. Our 13 year old daughter loved it ( it's geared toward 6-12 year olds ), and the adults loved it too! They also offer a kid-oriented walking tour of the city, but we didn't take that one. The tours are expensive, but we felt ours was very worthwhile. We got to bypass the long line at the entrance, and our daughter was kept busy and interested. ( parismuse.com )
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, great plan! I have been starting to check into ways to avoid the lines! This is one for my list! Thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 03:51 PM

Bon jour dendleju. I too am planning a trip to Paris for my daughter's 6th birthday (she asked to see la Tour Eiffel and Disney!) from 2 - 6 June 2010. (we live in Italy so a short trip is easy).

My suggestions:
1) read grandmere's trip report....it is FANTASTIC and chock full of ideas (I am considering staying in the apartment they rented).
2) check out David Lebovitz's website (www.davidlebovitz.com), especially the "Ten Great Things to Do with Kids in Paris". Very well written and the forum attached in full of good information. His site is just a treat (a bit of a pun, as he is a pastry chef and writer).

Anyone have a thought on the "best" area to stay in? 6th? Bastille?

Any thoughts on good apartment rental companies besides VRBO?
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Just found some answers to my questions about apartment rentals on another thread...sorry to all for the redundancy...