Paris with 19 year old granddaughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have stayed in Paris many times. This spring we will be joined by our granddaughter, who has never been to Europe. We would appreciate suggestions from you who have had experience in Paris with someone near her age as to what she might enjoy. We know the major "sights," museums, churches, gardens, but wonder if there is something we are not familiar with that would appeal. She is very eager for this experience - studying French in her college class so that she can communicate a little. She grew up in Hawaii and California, so France will be quite a change!
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 11:06 AM

Hard to respond without knowing about her specific likes/interests. Have hosted several nieces around the same age in Paris, and find that best bet is to tell them that they need to do some research in advance and come up with a list of things they are interested in doing/seeing, to include practical info (location, hours, etc.). Serves to get them involved in the trip, learn a bit about navigating in a new place.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 11:31 AM

When our daughter was 19, we spent an evening hanging out at Trocadero. She enjoyed the people watching, music, skate boarders, Eiffel gazing and picture taking.

She also enjoyed some shopping streets, window and otherwise, bakery visits, and I think her favorite museum was the Picasso.

She also enjoyed walking around the Marais and we had fun hanging out for awhile at the Stravinsky Fountain. Dining out was fun for her, the French restaurants being something different, and we took her to a gtg for dinner, which she thought was truly exotic.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 01:50 PM

Tuscanfeedlit, when you mentioned that dining out was fun for your 19-year old daughter, it reminded me of something funny.

When I took my two daughters and my granddaughter -- about 22 -- to Paris a few years ago, the three of us older women noticed that service in cafes was sooo much more attentive when we were with the attractive 22-year-old. I think she enjoyed that.

Sandy
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 02:40 PM

When mine was 19 she enjoyed roaming around the Latin Quarter at night, checking out the jazz venues, and meeting other like-minded people.

She also loved shopping at Zara, Pimkie, H&M, and little boutiques in Le Marais, which wasn't very original, but it suited her at the time.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input. Our granddaughter is athletic - plays softball, basketball and volleyball - and is interested in history, so Paris should be a fine place for that interest! We gave her a Paris guidebook for Christmas, which should be a good starting point for her.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 04:30 PM

When we took out teen daughters they especially enjoyed

1) Musee de Cluny (for some reason the medieval atmosphere and especially the unicorn tapestry really spoke to them)
2) they very much enjoyed just wandering around the Latin Quarter (while we did some galleries they had less interest in)
3) a couple of night visited student cafes and got to practice their French with local students - a bug hit
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 05:08 PM

I have a niece that writes a wine food column and she loved http://shakespeareandcompany.com/ She could have stayed there all day. Also vintage clothing stores.
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, nytraveler and flpab. Is the Latin Quarter the best place for student cafes?
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 12:16 PM

what a great experience for you all! I have a 6 year old granddaughter and pray that I can take her to Europe someday!
Our 18 year old son and his friend really enjoyed the catacombs - felt they were very interesting...http://www.catacombes.paris.fr/
They also enjoyed the Latin Quarter and Versailles

Enjoy!

http://www.chateauversailles.fr/homepage
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 12:43 PM

Yes, the Latin Quarter has lots of students -seemed that's where the University is. I believe that's why itMs called the Latin Quarter -has from long ago, when all the students spoke Latin.

She may enjoy the cafes and nightlife there. Or she may prefer something a little more upscale, as she will be with you and are paying!

You said she likes history. Isthere any era or facet that she's particularly interested in? If so, you can focus on that.
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 01:10 PM

If you are interested in the Picasso Museum check the website first. It was closed in Summer 2013 for an extensive renovation, and I'm not sure when it was going to reopen.
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 01:14 PM

Cferrb, that's true. Not only was it closed for renovations but a big chunk of the exhibition came to Australia and then I think was going to somewhere in the US.