Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

PARIS: Where are the artists, painters...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy the travel crowd,

I am going to Paris tomorrow and would like to find an area where all of the painters, artists are...I have always wanted to visit the area where they gather to paint on the street but have not been able to find them.

During my last trip I assumed (for some strange reason) they were around the Eiffel tower but, sadly, I was wrong...

Any tips would be so appreciated!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 01:42 AM
tod

Where is your Guide Book e17345?!
The artists are in Place du Tetre in Montmartre. If you make your way to Sacre Coeur Basilica you will be able to wander around and watch them work.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

HUH! I just went through my guide book and found it (PLACE DU TERTRE). Thank you though...

I realize it came across as silly. I just made a few assumptions and what do you know....never assume...It is the strangest thing: I have always thought they were by the Eiffel tower...silly me.

Thanks, should have checked first with my book. Sorry about that
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 02:29 AM

Hi

I too looked forward to checking out the painters and artists at Place du Tertre. I have to say that I was disappointed. They are slowly being squeezed out by the ubiquitous restaurant serving overpriced rubbish. We were pounced on by aggressive hawkers trying to sketch our portrait (I saw one young female tourist visibly distressed by the buffoon's approach). The art work itself is primarily Impressionist style (surprise,surprise) aimed squarely at gullible tourists. Paris has many attractions. Sadly, Place du Tertre is no longer one of them. The Montmarte walk suggested by the poster "DEGAS" in this forum sounds far more fun.

Just my 50 euro cents worth.

Au revoir
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 03:13 AM
tod

No problem e - Have the most wonderful trip! I wish I was the one heading for the airport. Please,,,,, You must give us the low-down when you get back.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:04 AM

As a local, I second Worldinabag's opinion and I think your idea of "Paris artists" is a bit "Disney-esque".

All the people you'll see around the "sights", along the Seine, or at the awful place du Tertre, basically sell "tourist art" (ie representations of Paris monuments and streets) for a living, even if some have another, more innovative production they will not exhibit in those spots.

Beware of what you buy : a picture may not have been painted by the person you displays it on his/her piece of Montmartre pavement (sidewalk). Worse, I have heard that some paintings are the works of people who have never been to Paris (painting workshops in China).

Like in other cities, "non-tourist" art sells in art galleries, a good many of which are located in the 6th, around the Ecole des Beaux-Arts,or around the rue Louise-Weiss (13th).

For the same price, you can also buy a 19th century print representing Paris scenes from the bouquinistes alo,g the river.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:11 AM

The most significant concentration of artists is indeed on the place du Tertre, at the top of the butte in Montmartre.

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out, more than half the available space is taken up in high season by the several restaurants around the place, which set up large areas with tables in place that were once occupied by artists. The artists are being gradually crowded out.

Additionally, many of the artists are not French to begin with, and the ones without assigned spots are almost always foreigners with very aggressive tactics (the aforementioned portrait artists). They can be very annoying at times.

There is no such thing as poor artists eking out a living in Paris today; that hasn't been possible for decades. Today nobody with the incoming of a starving artist can afford to live anywhere near Paris, and Montmartre, which was once considered a down-and-out suburb that artists frequented because they couldn't afford better, is now yet another hyper-chic area with astronomical rents. It retains its charm, but the price tag long ago soared out of the range of any artist who isn't already quite well off.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 09:02 AM
tod

AnthonyGA - Absolutely right. The artist that did my son's portrait in charcoal was a fellow from Holland.
When I tried to track him down a year or two later to show him the photos we had taken at various stages of the sketch I was told it was "too early for him yet" but he would be along a month or so later! That was in the 'old' days when they were allowed to sketch from just about anywhere around the Sacre Coeur.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:04 AM

There are alot of artists who walk around the Pl. du Tertre area and the surrounding areas of Sacre Coeur. They are a bit pesky because you'll be asked a million times if you'd like your portrait drawn. Some try the tactic of complementing you in hopes you'll give in. Their prices are not cheap.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:39 AM

I haven't yet made it "up" to MontMartre, but E17345, I was able to
watch a gentleman painting ...his easel was set up on the Pont Neuf..and he was, in my not too humble opinion about art, wonderful!
Just walk around, keep your eyes open. You'll see artists painting.
Otherwise, sprinkled through the 5, 6th, 3rd and 4th, are lots of galleries.
Probably at other areas too, I just can't say.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 02:33 PM

The (relatively) poor artists are mostly in the 20th arrondissement.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:57 PM

It's illegal for artists to sell work done by someone else, as well as copies of their own work. The spots on the place du Tertre are reserved and the waiting list for them is several years long.

The portraits you see on display are generally done by the artist who claims to have done them, but he has probably spent a lot more time on the samples than he can afford to spend on yours, so beware. Nevertheless, there are a number of good artists there, and some do indeed produce excellent portraits—watch them do someone else's portrait to see their work before you buy yourself.

Artists are usually out in the afternoons; it seems that they like to sleep in. The place du Tertre is not lively until the afternoon and early evening (while it's still light). After dark some artists leave but a few remain as long as there are tourists.

It's not generally illegal to sketch or paint in Paris. Selling of art work does not seem to be illegal, either (based on what I've been told by artists), as long as each work is an original and the artist is selling his own work. I doubt that any of it is coming from China; the artist's style is easy to spot and the number of works on display are few. It would not be economically feasible to subcontract any of this, especially for an artist working alone. Some of the artists themselves <i>are</i> Chinese or from the Far East, though.

There are often artists working near Notre Dame, near the plaza, on the Pont au Double bridge, and down on the banks of the river.

There are some very good artists who exhibit in public shows a few times a year. They've told me that it helps them to make more money, and it allows them to avoid the very heavy commissions that galleries take when they exhibit their work. A lot of them are regulars and some of their works would look very nice on any wall; some have unique styles, others try to blend in to a common marketable style of some kind.

Many of these artists live on a shoestring (compared to the cost of living in Paris), but they manage to squeak by each month, and they are painting and living in Paris, so the dream is still fulfilled.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 04:57 AM

http://www.marchecreation.com/montpa...ndex.php?lg=fr

The above is the art market at the Edgar Quinet Metro held every Sunday from 10 to 7 p.m. The artists sell directly to the public. There is a mix of mediums - oil, watercolor, pottery, etc. There are also various art squats in Paris which you might be able to locate by googling, but they are transitory by nature. I have never seen any groups gathering to paint unless you mean the Place de Tertre which is mosly a tourist trap and often poor quality work. If you just want to watch someone in action, there are copy painters at work in the d'Orsay. Although I haven't gotten there yet, I believe you can tour the gallery at Ecole Beaux Arts, the Paris art school on the Left Bank. If you are interested in buying a &quot;remembrance&quot;, I find a gallery with an artist I appreciate and buy the show poster, which usually sells for under 10 Euros. Then you come home and pay a fortune to have it framed!!
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Actually, more than half of the &quot;artists&quot; who used to sell crap at the Place du Tertre are now in front of the Pompidou Center.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 09:19 PM

Artists have told me that they are rarely inconvenienced by the police at the Pompidou Center. I'm not sure whether this is because of some special status of the plaza in front of the center or just a special tolerance on the part of the city. There's a police station right next to the center, so they can easily see the artists.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
&quot;Artistic endeavors&quot; are authorized officially (there are signs with the hours posted for this) on the piazza Beaubourg in front of the Pompidou Center -- this includes sketch artists, performers, etc.