Search

Best Bookstores for learning more about Paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:08 PM
tod
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Bookstores for learning more about Paris

I am always on the hunt for books about Paris but we do not have large well equiped bookstores to pop into. It's either ordering on line or going without, so when I'm in Paris I tend to stock up. For other Fodorites on the prowl for books when in Paris, Fodors Guide To The Da Vinci Code lists these as the best bookstores :

GALIGNANI - under the arches of Rue de Rivoli at number 224. Opened in 1802 they stock French literatue, English travel guides and internationaL press.

LIBRAIRIE DE LA BIBLIOTHEQUE HISTORIQUE DE LA VILLE DE PARIS - 22 rue Malher in the Marais. Here you will find everything from detailed historic texts, architectural coffee-table books to little pocket guides and posters.

VILLAGE VOICE - A few blocks from St. Sulpice. Selling contemporary anglophone books on two floors and holding regular readings by internationally renowned authors.
You can find them at 6 rue Princesse, St- Germaine-des-Pres
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 01:31 AM

There's also a bookstore on the Île Saint Louis that has a lot of nice books on the city, mostly coffee-table books. The name escapes me but it's easy to find.

Keep in mind that any accurate book about Paris is likely to conflict with Dan Brown's fantasy version.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 02:41 AM

Tod,

Assuming you are looking for books in English, you might also try WH Smith on rue de Rivoli.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 04:32 AM
tod
Original Poster

Thanks Anthony & Toupary - Last year found lovely books at the Musee d'Orsay!
I have not yet read the Da Vinci Code and it still stands unopened amongst others on the bookshelf. Will get to it oneday.
Only reason I recently purchased the Fodors Guide to The Code is because it mentions lots of interesting things in and around Paris.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Anthony, when you remember where the store you reference is, would you kindly post?
I would love to have a "coffee table" book of pre WWII photos in b/w...
...mmm...now I can't remember the names of great photographers whose work I have seen...(getting old ain't for sissies)
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:22 AM

What is the name of the book store where the artists & writers used to stay ? Is it Shakespeare & Co. ? I know where it is, but am not positive of the name..
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:06 AM

When I was in Paris two years ago I enjoyed "Red Wagon" in the Marais (our apartment was 24 rue St. Paul in the 4th and it was just down the block on the same street). It is small bookshop but its entire inventory is English language books including many about Paris and France.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Suze and Anthony -

The bookstore on Rue Rue St. Louis en I'Îsle is calld Librairie Ulysses. Street number is 26. It is a famous Parisian bookstore that only carries books relating to travel. Tons of coffee table books and destination guides for places around the world.