Paris/Tuscany in the rain

Old May 13th, 2003, 03:03 PM
arc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris/Tuscany in the rain

We are leaving Thursday for 2 nights in Paris, then on to a Tuscan villa for 4 nights. The forecast looks pretty wet. Any ideas for things to do in the rain? (besides eat!)
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:22 PM

In Paris there are plenty of museums, and you can also walk the "passages" that are found roughly north of the Palais Royal.
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"Any ideas for things to do in the rain? (besides eat!)"

Well my first response would be to drink. In Paris, there are tons of things to do inside like the Louvre, St. Chapelle, Musee D'Orsay, make love (not necessarily in that order) and many more. I remember there was a pet peeve about 'etc.', so I left that out. On many of my trips to Paris we have hit some rain. Find a nice corner cafe, sip some wine or coffee and realize, even in the rain, being in Paris is better than being just about anyplace else. In Tuscany, I'd stick to the wine and making love part, but there are some nice churches to take refuge in the hill towns. Take a bus and go to Firenze. Lots to do inside there for a day (Accademia, Pitti Palace, Uffizi, Medici tombs). And walking in the rain is fun (as long as it's not a downpour). If dancing and singing in the rain was good enough for Gene Kelly, it's good enough for you (but watch out where you dance. Perhaps walk and sing in the rain is a better suggestion).
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:43 PM

I second Michael's idea.

I was in Paris this past weekend and even though I had pleasant weather I used Lonely Planet Paris for a walking tour of the passages. It is mostly indoors, interesting to see and lots of funky shopping.
Old May 13th, 2003, 09:51 PM

We were in Paris in July 2000, and - surprisingly - it was chilly and rainy the whole time. I even had to buy a raincoat at a department store sale because I was so cold and wet - and there is very little selection in July! Nonetheless, we saw many wonderful sights, including museums - Louvre, D'Orsay, Museum of the City of paris - and churches, and we wandered the streets despite the weather, ducking in for coffee or a perfect hot chocolate in a St. Germain cafe. I imagine I would have enjoyed it all more with sunshine, but Paris is wonderful whatever the weather.

When we go to Tuscany in October, it may rain, but I am sure there will be much to see and enjoy.