Paris in the Rain :(

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris in the Rain :(

Someone please cheer me up. I have just checked the weather report for next week and it is supposed to rain 4 out of 4 days that we will be in Paris. Please tell me we are still going to enjoy it. Is it worth doing things like going up the Toure or Arc de Triomphe when the weather is bad?
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:55 AM

Yes, cheer up! Remember, Paris is the City of Lights. When it rains, the soft lighted monuments are reflected in the cobblestoned streets and the bright window displays sparkle on the pavement. I think it's Paris at its best.

While it's unlikely it will rain ALL day, you will still have a wonderful time. We were there a few years ago for 10 days and it rained some everyday (even a little sleet). Didn't stop us a bit.

You might want to consider a coat with a hood---but umbrellas will work fine. Most important: make sure your shoes/boots are waterproof (at least 2 pairs so you can switch out day to day).

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:58 AM

Sorry, meant to address your specific question. I wouldn't scale the heights of either monument in the rain, simply because there would be no view. But I just got back from Paris last week and we had a lovely time though we didn't climb any monuments. (Hint: seeing them from the ground is really the thrill, especially at night.)
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 05:05 AM

Keep in mind what someone said to me when I was visiting in the rain..."Rain or shine, you are in PARIS!!"
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Ditto, Traviata - a rainy day in Paris is better than no day in Paris.
suzburger - even in the rain Paris is delightful. It may not rain all day nor in all parts of the city. If it is heavily overcast your views from the Tour Eiffel or top of the Arc de Triomphe may well be limited, so you might concentrate on museums that day, or wait to see if the fog lifts later in the day. I have found it best to be prepared with a travel umbrella (collapsible that doesn't take up too much room) and a coat that stands up to the wetness. Since rain can make it feel colder, a scarf and perhaps an extra layer can help, too.
If it is any comfort, you can get some excellent photos in rainy weather.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 07:07 AM

"I am singing in the rain
I am singing in the rain
What a glorious feeling
I am happy again...

It happens to me and I will take Paris in the rain, any day.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Weather reports are not reliable four or five days in advance. Often they are not even reliable for the next day.

At this time of year, there are many overcast days, but there isn't necessarily a lot of rain. This is especially true for Paris itself, which often remains dry while the suburbs are drenched (microclimate effect), and this has been a rather dry winter thus far, with significantly less rain than usual.

Anyway, rain in Paris tends to be of the light drizzling or misty kind, and it often comes and goes over the course of a day. The usual procedure is to duck under an awning or something and wait for it to pass, if it rains hard enough to require shelter. If it's just a few drops here and there, most people simply ignore it.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 08:05 AM

I was to spend 5 days in Paris with rain forecasted each day. It rained 2 days. Cheer up, you'll be in Paris.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

You are all so wonderful. Thanks for the pick-me-up!!
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Paris is wonderful any time at all. Don't let the rain get in your way. I always take a raincoat and umbrella and go on my way. But then, I lived in Scotland for three years and learned that if you let the rain stop you, you would NEVER do anything. Slip into a museum, a bistro or go shopping. Have fun!
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Just because it says rain doesn't mean it will rain all day every day. And rain in europe is usualy much lighter than the torrential downpours we often get in the US.

So - the weather may be miserable - or it may be on and off. If so - use the better times to ascend the monuments. In any case there's enough indoors stuff in Paris to keep you busy for weeks - never mind the romance of walking the banks of the Seine in the rain after dinner.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Suz:
Don't miss the special exhibit at the Musee de Luxembourg. The private Powell collection is being shown...it's magnificent!
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Fwiw, last April when I went to Paris the forecast was also rain and clouds everyday, yet we had consistently dazzling weather. On the other hand, when I went last week, the forecast was sun every day with zero chance of precipitation and it was gray with a little snow and light drizzle. Even with the gray and damp though, we had a wonderful time. All the better to linger in cafes over hot spiced wine or hot chocolate or cafe au lait. And it makes it easier to spend quality time in museums without the nagging feeling that you should be out in the midst of the city. Moreover, the Eiffel Tower is pretty when it glitters through the fog.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Caillebotte thought so much of a rainy day in Paris that he immortalized it in one of the all-time great paintings, "Rainy Day in Paris."
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Just another reason to go into more stores, cafes, shops, galleries, museums, churches, and passages.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM

It also makes the city feel less crowded. If you're OK with walking in the rain, then you'll enjoy a little more solitude (a little more) at the touristy spots.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM

It rained a little bit every day when we were in Paris in May 2004. We just didn't let it slow us down, did whatever we had planned. We bought a little music box at Anna Joliet that plays Singing in the Rain - it always brings back great memories.