Paris to Normandy, France

May 12th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Paris to Normandy, France

This upcoming summer my wife and I will be landing at Charles DE Gaulle airport on a Tuesday, then we will be heading to Normandy. I have heard that there is a train that runs from Paris to Normandy. And so not being very well-seasoned world travelers we have the following questions :

1), What is the train that runs from Paris, to Normandy, and where is the Paris station located? We will be traveling there on a Wednesday
2), We will be landing in Paris on a Tuesday afternoon. Are there any decent hotels near the train station in Paris ?

3), there are just so many options regarding tours in Normandy, does anyone have a suggestion regarding which one to sign up for ? ( just one day).

Thank you for your suggestions .
May 12th, 2014, 07:07 AM

From CDG take the RER to Gare du Nord and then transfer via the adjoining Magenta station to another RER line that ends at the Gare Saint-Laare which has frequent trains - hourly or so to Caen and Bayeux - Bayeux is my recommended departure point for the several mini-bus tour companies that take you on either half or full day jaunts to the nearby D-Day beaches and Colville/s/Mer military cemetery where all the memorial events seem to be held.

There are not many hotels IME near Saint_Lazare, in the heart of a commercial district with the famous large department stores Galeries Lafayette and Au Printemps' flag ship stores and the Paris Opera.

Why not go to Bayeux that first night and stay in this very charming smaller regional towns - it was about the only town not blitzed to smithereens in WW2 actions and has a sublime cathedral and also Queen Matildha's Tapoestry on display in a local museum - woven by the queen of William the Conqueror, the king who defeated the Saxon King Harold and launched the Norman Conquest of Britain, which continues to this day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=baye...=1600&bih=1075

If you have not booked a mini-bus tour check the Bayeux Tourist Office as they book several on the spot and most pick up at your local hotel.
May 12th, 2014, 07:12 AM

Oh for the actual Saint-Lazare to Caen and Bayeux trains check www.voyages-sncf.com for schedules and fares - you can get minor discounts by booking in stone weeks ahead of time but the fares on this non-TGV line are fairly flat - unlike the Byzantine fare structure of TGV trains where you can save a ton by booking in stone months in advance. You can here just show up and buy tickets without breaking the bank.

For lots of goodies on French trains check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com. Buy a 'retour' or return ticket - most tickets are open tickets I believe that can be used on any of the same type of train on those lines.
May 12th, 2014, 03:12 PM

http://bayeux-bessin-tourisme.com/en...ccueil/bayeux/

check the tourist office web site for D-Day (J-Jour in French) tours to the landing beaches and Colville-sur-Mer cemetery.
May 12th, 2014, 04:31 PM

http://www.hotel-churchill.fr/

nice hotel in the center of Bayeux. Very nice village and you would enjoy more than a night here.
La_Fringale was so good for dinner, three or four course dinner but make reservations.
May 13th, 2014, 06:20 AM

Yup a much nicer experience - staying in Bayeux a night - a sweet regional town and then you can do a leisurely day out on the beaches.
May 13th, 2014, 06:34 AM

We stayed at the Hotel New Orient near the Gare Saint-Lazare before taking a train to Normandy. It is a small boutique hotel with good manager/owners and in walking distance to the station.

We have also stayed at the Hotel Churchill twice and recommend it. Loved Bayeux for the reasons others stated.
May 13th, 2014, 07:22 AM

When we did our Normandy tour we rented a car at CDG and headed out. Since you land in the afternoon, a short drive to Rouen and a night's stay there might be pleasant. Looking back you seem to be only staying one day.
It is just my opinion but your present plan to go into Paris, spend the night and then go to Bayeux for one day and I assume return the next sounds very tiring and not very fulfilling for travel time.
What is your over all travel plan for spending time in Normandy and elsewhere. Perhaps there is another possible plan.
May 13th, 2014, 07:22 AM

I will also add that if you have a car, touring Normandy (beaches) is quite easy and enjoyable on your own.
May 13th, 2014, 09:33 AM

Even if you like to bike the beaches are a short enough putz from Bayeux - I did that several times.
May 14th, 2014, 11:44 AM

When we did our Normandy tour we rented a car at CDG and headed out. Since you land in the afternoon, a short drive to Rouen and a night's stay there might be pleasant. Looking back you seem to be only staying one day.>

Giverny - Monet's House and Gardens, would also be smack on the route to Rouen - but after a long flight I'd not do too much that day.