Driving in Corsica

Search

Driving in Corsica

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in Corsica

We are traveling to Corisca the first week of June and we will have a car. We enter via ferry in Bastia arriving at noon, and our first destination is Piana to visit Les Calanches. We are seeing two different routes to get to Piana -

The first is over the mountains (through Ponte Leccia and Calacuccia) and looks to be about 3 hours.

The second is along the north coast (through Saint Florent and Calvi) and looks to be about 4 hours.

Any opinions on the two choices? We're in no hurry, and we've never been to Corsica, so whichever is the most scenic, the most "Corsican", etc.

Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2014, 04:49 PM

We stayed in Saint Florent a few years ago, arriving by ferry to Calvi and departing via Bastia so we drove alot of the roads you're considering.

We loved driving in Corsica but it's not without its challenges - narrow, windy roads; the odd livestock and traffic can be heavy (not sure about the first week of June).

The portion of the drive via Saint Florent and Calvi is beautiful but I'm not sure it would be 4 hours in total - especially when you look at the road from Calvi to Piani (if it's D81 you're considering - it looks really windy and small).

In a perfect world you might add a stay in Saint Florent along the way - that would give you a chance to do the beautiful Cap Corse drive one day!

Links to our blog below - if you like driving you could do the Saint Florent/Calvi route but it might be long and tiring in one day depending upon the factors I mention above.

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/p...he-winter.html

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/p...eat-lunch.html

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/p...cap-corse.html

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/p...l-elusive.html
Old May 11th, 2014, 10:26 PM

Pacman,

Both routes are lovely - the coastal one is nothing short of spectacular. And both are "Corsican" - frankly, the entire island is "all Corsica, all the time", one of its real attractions as far as I'm concerned.

If you are planning on spending a few nights in Piana, I'd probably opt for the inland route from Bastia, only because trying to do the entire coastal drive AFTER a long ferry ride risks being too much. Then again, without knowing you (and especially how much you may or may not like long winding drives) it's a bit hard to say. But if you'll have the time to explore the coast from Piana, perhaps go inland on the way over.

First week in June should be perfect in Corsica. Well ahead of the summer crowds and you should have great weather for some beach time if that interests.

-Kevin
Old May 12th, 2014, 02:25 AM

Agree with Kevin - I just caught the fact you're getting off the ferry at noon. Save the coast drive for a day trip! Enjoy Corsica - we loved it.
Old May 12th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the speedy replies. In fact, after the stay in Piana, we're driving down the coast to Bonifacio.

Elizabeth, your replies made me think of the road to Hana in Maui. After a while, the switchbacks while beautiful do get to be too much...

The mountains it is!
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:25 PM

Pac -

Don't kid yourself - they'll be plenty of switchbacks on the mountain road as well ! And if memory serves, the road to Hana was a walk in the park compared to many of the roads I've driven on in Corsica... but then again, that's one of the things which keeps much of the island so pristine. Take it slow and enjoy.

- Kevin
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:53 AM

Both routes are superb but given you're timing I would suggest across the island via Ponte Leccia and one of my favourite roads, the D84 which will take you over the Col Vergio and down through Evisa and the Spelunca gorge. You may get to Piana around sunset which will be just spectacular.
Whilst my website is for bike riders both routes are largely covered under my 'Routes' section. See, www.corsicacyclist.com

Best wishes

Mark