Search

Orly to Lazare time and trains to Bayeux schedules

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orly to Lazare time and trains to Bayeux schedules

Hello everyone!
I’ve used these forums a lot to do research on my trips over the last year and this is finally my first posting! I’ve been doing a lot of research as my fiancé and I have booked a 3 week honeymoon to Europe. So I’ve been reading posts on getting to St. Lazare station and saw many comments about getting there from CDG airport, and how it takes a long time to taxi to the gate, etc. So now I’m worried because I’m not sure if we’ll have enough time except for not sure if it’s much different from Orly.

Our planes arrives from Venice and lands at Orly at exactly 5:00pm on October 3rd. We have a tour booked in Bayeux the next morning at8am, so need to get to Bayeux on the evening of the 3rd as a train in the morning on the 4th would not get use there in time. I booked this flight a long time ago and I thought at the time I would have enough time to make it to Lazare station (it was also supposed to land at 4:25pm but then Transavia changed it to 5pm). At that time I saw trains leaving Lazare at around 7pm in the evening an so I thought it was ok. But now today I’m looking and train schedules and I’m not seeing any train departures on our day after 4:30pm, and so I’m not sure if I’m missing something. So I have a few questions I would be grateful to get help in:

• How long will it take us to get from Orly to Lazare and how long in advance before our train can we arrive? I guess I’m asking what’s the latest I can arrive and still catch my train?
• Where should I book our train tickets from Lazare to Bayeux? I see multiple websites and I’m not sure what the difference is. Also, will the schedule still change? Right now I’m not see any trains after 5pm, so I’m thinking I need to rebook new flights then to arrive earlier in the day?

Thanks everyone so much!
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 11:16 AM

Orly Val people mover to RER B - RER B to Magneta (Gare du Nord) then RER E to Saint-Lazare - optimally about 90 min I would say -maybe quicker if you know the ropes.

consider a taxi from Orly to Lazare.

www.voyages-sncf.com for booking tickets Paris Saint-Lazare to Bayeux - buy a full fare ticket so it can be used on any train and there should be more after 7pm I'd guess -- I see an 8:30pm train on www.bahn.de/en - the best or easiest schedule site I've seen - put in Orly airport to Bayeux in the search boxes to get all the connections. Could buy at station - no reservations required on those trains I think so you can always get on - first class will rarely have many folks in it. www.capitainetrain.com sells the same tickets and fares for the same trains as the first site.

For lots on French trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 11:27 AM

What day are you traveling?

Take a taxi from Orly to the Gare Saint-Lazare.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 01:34 PM

I guess I’m asking what’s the latest I can arrive and still catch my train?>

doors may close one minute before the train so get there before a few minutes before the train is scheduled to leave.

If plane lands at 5pm who knows when you will get baggage and go thru Immigration - If there is an 8:30 pm train you probably could catch it by taking a taxi to St Lazare - can't see catching anything much earlier.

Can't you change your Bayeux tour reservation to the next day?
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 03:32 PM

SNCF usually only sells tickets 90 days out, so they might not have all the trains listed on their website (or viewable on other sites like bahn.de). Looking at the schedule next week they show trips leaving the Pont de Rungis RER station (where the shuttle takes you) onto Bayeux as late as 7:38pm. The schedule might be shortened in October, or maybe they just haven't listed those trains yet.

Even 7:38pm is a bit problematic because you need to get of the plane, find the shuttle, then ride it to Pont de Rungis. So a 90 minute delay in your flight might be an issue. And you don't want to be standing in Orly with a hotel in Bayeux paid for but no way to get there.

So I'd consider a couple of options. First, as you said, is change to an earlier flight. This is what I'd do.

Second, if you keep this 5pm flight consider spending the 1st night in Caen instead of Bayeux because there are later trains shown (at least for next week) from Pont de Rungis to Caen. There are 7am trains from Caen to Bayeux the next day so there would be no issue getting their for your 8am tour, although if you're not staying more nites in Bayeux then you have to figure out what to do with your luggage.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 04:24 PM

How about flying from Orly to Caen if such flights exist- then no matter what time you get there you can get a taxi to Bayeux?
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 06:12 PM

I found out through research/posting on Trip Advisor that the lines between Paris-Bayeux are being worked on in October -- greatly reducing travel especially on weekends (when I need to travel) ... Not sure of the extent to which weekdays are affected.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thanks for all the helpful comments!

I see an 20:45 train on the Bahn site as well, but it can't be booked. But I don't see this train on the other sites, I guess that's why it's confusing to me about which site has a complete schedule. So I'm not sure if I should keep waiting and maybe that 20:45 train will eventually be bookable ?

Since we'll be arriving from Venice, do we still have to go through immigration since it's a flight within the EU? Based on everyone's comments I think I will book an earlier flight and aim to catch the 16:45 train which is currently the last "bookable" train now. In that case, from your comments it sounds like I need to purchase a flight that will arrive 3.5 hours before that to gets bags, etc and travel to Lazare, so I'll try to find flight landing around 1pm. Though I'll give it a couple more weeks to just wait and see if that 20:45 train becomes available to book.

We can't change our tour reservations as we also have non-refundable hotels as well, and then leaving back to Canada after our 2 days in Bayeux.

Thanks everyone for all your help
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 01:41 PM

Again book a full-fare ticket in case you have to take a later train - discounted tickets are train-specific and I believe cannot be changed nor refunded. And make a seat reservation too - they probably do not automatically come with tickets on trains that do not require them- but they are optional and again you can always board.

Go first class to be absolutely sure of empty seats in that class IME.

A full-fare ticket can be used on any train as long as they are the same fare - seat reservations are obviously train-specific.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 02:19 PM

The 20:45 train is showing on the SNCF site also. Also not bookable yet. Just wait a week or two. Keep checking.

It's a TER train from the Gare Lazare to Bayeux, so the fare is always the same. No 1st class tickets. No full-fare tickets vs. discounted tickets.. No reservations. It's one fare, all the time, and all seats are the same.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 02:47 PM

20:43 train on bahn.de/en on days I checked in October is an IC train with first class - is bahn.de wrong?

As IC trains I presume cost more than slower TER trains I guess if you have an IC train ticket you could also use it on TER trains but not reverse without paying the difference?