Mont St Michel to Bayeux

Apr 16th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Mont St Michel to Bayeux

I'll be in Paris in May and as a side trip my friend and I are taking the TGV from Paris to Rennes then taking the bus to Mont St. Michel.

I'm having trouble finding how to get from Mont St. Michel to Bayeux (we'll be staying the night in Bayeux and the next day seeing the D-day beaches).

Can anyone tell me how we're to get from MSM to Bayeux? If you know of any websites or links that can give me info, that'd be great! Thanks!
Jenn
Apr 16th, 2008, 07:04 AM

www.voyages-sncf.com will have schedules for trains from the Pontorson-Mont-Saint-Michel train station (6 mi by bus from the Mount itself) in the town of Pontorson and has direct trains to Bayeux - but it's a sideline with spotty service - not hourly and varying as to day of week so check schedules carefully
Apr 16th, 2008, 07:06 AM

The nearest station to Mont-St-Michel is Pontorson-Mont-St-Michel which has two or three direct trains a day to Bayeux, taking under two hours. I believe there is a bus to Pontorson station, otherwise take a taxi. Train schedules are on www.bahn.de. These are regional trains with no advanced booking.
Apr 16th, 2008, 07:08 AM

Pontorson-Mont-St-Michel Th, 17.04.08 dep 09:55 ar 11:42

Weekdays there seems to be only two trains a day - one at 9:55am arriving in Bayeux at 11:42

and one late in the afternoon

(this from bahn.de site which i find easier to use for scheudles all over Europe than the sncf or French rail site)

These are local trains - no reservations possible i believe - a few-car train set not a TGV
Apr 16th, 2008, 07:50 AM

gehabee I am so happy for you! And a little green with envy

Where are you staying in Bayeux? I was there last month and stayed at Churchill Hotel and it was a beautiful hotel and the Husband and Wife owner are the nicest people. We loved the breakfast that came with the room and it's in the middle of town with a grocery store right next door to pick up water and snacks (the cheapest we found on our trip)

Apr 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for this information...it really helped me out!!

Another question, should we purchase train tickets online now or will we be ok getting them the day of?

Thanks again!
Apr 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM

Though IMO you would have no problem just showing up and buying tickets you can get a discount perhaps by doing online well in advance

But the savings may not be so dramatic on this non-TGV line as on TGV trains

and it's just a two-hour trip or so

go to www.voyages-sncf.com and y ou will see the regular walk up fare and also if any advance discounts are offered - they will be for a specific date and train and probably not changeable

so you may want to leave your return train flexible with a walk up ticket - unless you know, on a day trip exactly when you will be ready to return
Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

just want to say a BIG thanks to those of you who helped my with this. I just got back Thursday after 3 weeks in Europe and your advice about how to get from MSM to Bayeux really helped! Everything was spot on and correct! I really couldn't have done it without you!