Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help planning Normandy trip in June with my son!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Paris for the month of June. My 25 yr old son will be joining us and his bucket list is a tour of Normandy, as much WWII info as possible. I'd like to overnight if it means seeing more. I'd appreciate all suggestions of tour companies, hotels, etc.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 01:25 PM

take the train to Bayeux via Caen or rent a car and drive - Bayeus is the perfect base and yes do an overnight as Bayeux itself has some *** sites (Queen Matilhda's Teapestry documenting the 1066 Norman Invasion of England - a long long tapestry in a local museum and a famous and exquiste cathedral plus is a nice regional city with lots of hotels and mini-bus tours that pick yous up at your hotel and take you to the top J-Jour (D-Day) sites.

If into biking I've biked the several miles from Bayeux to the coast and around - a much more intimate way to approach it and not be beholden to the schedule of a tour.

If you want to make a long weekend of it take a train from Bayeux to Pontorson-Mont-Saint-Michel - stay at one of the plethora of motels on the mainland or in the few expensive ones right on the island and see this 8th Wonder of the World and then take a train back to Paris (bus from Mont-Saint-Michel to Rennes to hop TGV trains blowing nearly 200 mph back to Paris.

This all would be a great driving tour too and your son may love to get behind the wheel in France if you don't!

For info on trains www.voyages-sncf.com has schedules and fares (not that much even for full fare) and for general info on French trains: www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - check the latter free online European Planning & Rail Guide for snippets on Normandy and the Debarquement Beaches too.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 01:28 PM

You can stay in Bayeux and take a day-tour, or even two, from there.

Check out Over Lord Tour (www.overlordtour.com) or D Day Historian Tours (www.ddayhistorian.com).
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 01:36 PM

There are several mini-bus tours licensed by the local Tourist Office (Syndicat d'Iniative or S.I.) and they book them right on site - no need to book ahead they told me when I was researching and article I wrote once about the D-Day area - so just pop into the Bayeux S I in the town center and book a tour or pre-arrange one - from looking at them they all seem like peas in pods - taking you to the same few main sites like the Colville-sur-Mer American military cemetery overlooking one of the main bloody beachheads and abit up and down the cost.

If there were decent public transporation in the area I'd say to use it but there TMK is just really limited service.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 03:30 PM

Overnight in Bayeux. It is a wonderful town and close to all the major sights.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Looks like D Day historian tours is booked so am awaiting word from over lord Robert
I'd like to get something arranged before going instead of "winging it" since we'll be there during such a busy time and definitely want to stay in Bayeux after reading up.
Anyone have other tour company names, I'd appreciate it!
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 04:00 PM

Yes we too love staying in Bauyeux! Wonderful base. And I love being on Mont St. Michel overnight. Mid day not so much.

Agree about limited public trans at least IME. Although I spent a lovely day waiting at the train station near MSM chatting with some American college students also stranded. (Holiday, or strike, can't recall.)

I am itching to get to Honfleurs and there are other WWII sites along the coast; have a great trip!! I still have some 16 year old Calvados from last trip.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

We'll be doing mont at Michel (which I have already booked hotel) on a separate trip due to time constraints with my son, he will only be able to do the Normandy Beach area.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 09:00 PM

you and your son might enjoy staying in a beautiful chateau just 3 kms north of central Bayeux .... Chateau de Sully... the grounds are park-like and the entire property is fenced. The restaurant is first class also. It's on D-6 one of the connecting highways to two of the D-Day beaches (Omaha and and further NW, Utah) and the main US cemetery on the bluff overlookinf Omaha beach. There is also a little-known small WWII military museum in Bayeux, slightly west of town.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 09:11 PM

LJ

www.chateau-de-sully.com/en/
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 01:03 AM

At LEAST an overnight, PLEASE!! A very nice economical accommodation is the Hotel Bayeux. It is 5 minutes from the tapestry and 5 minutes from the Cathedral. Squeaky clean, car park next door, easy to access getting out of the city to the main roads.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 08:10 AM

Anyone have other tour company names, I'd appreciate it!>

Google the Bayeux Synidcat d'Iniative - they used to at least have a comprehensive list of such tours and by being listed you know they have been vetted out.

If on a day trip you could maybe do quicker with similar tours from Caen - thru which you must pass by train to get to Bayeux - often having to change trains there. Again the Caen S.I. should have all the details.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 08:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
P, even through my I dyslexia spotted that one

"syndicat d'initiative bayeux"

Old Mar 8th, 2015, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
see what I mean
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 09:36 AM

I used Normandy Sightseeing Tours for a half day WWII highlights tour, leaving from Bayeux.
http://www.normandy-sightseeing-tours.com/

They were fantastic.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 11:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
We stayed two nights in St.Aubin-Sur-Mer at the Hotel St-Aubin.
It is right on Juno Beach.

Two nights, and a car, will give you a full day to explore the area and avoid the herds of tourists.

Taking a tour will condemn your 25 year old son to seeing Normandy at the pace of the slowest walker and the slowest talker.

Mark
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 02:32 PM

The tour I took really wasn't like that at all. First, it wasn't full of people who could barely walk, if that's what you are thinking. But we didn't really walk that many places, anyway, and in lots of areas, you were just taken to a point and then given a half hour free time or something like that, such as the American cemetery, after an introductory talk. IN others, the guide did explain things and we walked around some areas to a point (like those bunkers), but it wasn't walking for long distances, because you have to drive around to different points.

Not sure what you mean about the slowest talker.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 03:41 PM

We did a tour with Stuart Robertson several years ago. He was with another company then but has his own company now, Normandy Battle Tours:http://www.normandybattletours.com/your-guide/

Can honestly say this was one of the best things we have ever done, on all of our trips. Stuart has since written a book, and is one of the most knowledgeable people in the world about WWII history. He is from England by birth but has been in Normandy for many years and has devoted his life to its history. Highly recommend him. I know that many WWII/D-day vets have used him and he knows and is close with many veterans who were there. He does all the sites you would imagine and even took us to some off the beaten path places. Enjoy the trip.
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 07:18 AM

How much did the tour cost? In general how much do they cost?
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 08:00 AM

I don't usually refer to things as "must see" but this museum in Caen is outstanding. They also run tours to the beaches. You can purchase combi-tickets. Excellent bookstore, decent café:

http://normandy.memorial-caen.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -