Search

Paris to Basel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris to Basel

What's the fastest way to get from Paris to Basel? Can you take the TGV part way or is that nonstop Paris to Lausanne? Are commuter flights convenient?
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:18 PM

Here's a link to the TGV system map:

http://www.trainweb.org/tgvpages/jpg/tgvgeomap.jpg

As you can see the TGV's are really quite limited. In fact there isn't a TGV line that goes into Switzerland. When I checked on www.sncf.com the train leaves from Gare de L'Est, is not a TGV and takes over 5 hours to Basel.

There are lot's of low cost carriets like Ryanair, EasyJet, etc. All you can do is check around and see if any fly to Basel. It is not the "end all be all" but www.skyscanner.net does not show any discount air carriers from Paris to Basel.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 11:16 PM

madwen:

There are no low-cost flights from Paris to Basel. Air France offers frequent flights from CDG to Basel, lowest return fare is 63 €, taxes will add another 44.17 €.

The fight will take 1 hour 20 minutes. As the rail connection (from gare de l'est) takes slightly more than 5 hours and deposits you in the centre of the city, it is a moot point, if you should take a flight with all the hassle involved (getting to CDG, checking in in advance, wait, wait, sit in a cramped Airbus 320, wait for your checked luggage, wait again at immigration to Switzerland, take the bus or taxi into the city).

I live in Basel, and whenever travelling to Paris, I take the train. for exampke:

Paris Est dp 09:45, Basel SNCF ar 15:07 or
Paris Est dp 15:09, Basel SNCF ar 20.29

Hope this helps.

Phil.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 11:26 PM

I live in Switzerland too, I know that the TGV comes to Switzerland - via Bern. But I can't remember it's exact route. I would imagine it does Zurich or Basel and then Olten - Bern - and possible out through Neuchatel or through Lausanne - Geneva.

We usually go to Paris with the train. Phil's right, it's always a question of train vs. plane.

Just letting you know, we took the couchette on the night train once and it was most uncomfortable, mainly due to the vinyl coverting in a closed, heated cabin with 5 other people.

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Direct, non TGV trains Paris-Basel (ca. 5 hrs) are usually the best, i.e. fastest option.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

A direct train will be good. Does the train have smoking and non-smoking cars?
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 12:13 AM

Madwen,

Of course the trains have nonsmoking cars!

Just book your tickets in advance to make sure you get seats there:
www.sncf.com

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

After everyone's helpful input I decided the 9:30-ish train was perfect. Then I found out it doesn 't run on Sundays. I'm thinking now of the 15:15 train which doesn't get in to Basel until 20:29. Is there a nice hotel next to or near the train station? Would there be any difficulty getting a taxi?
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:20 PM

the TGV doesn't go to Switzerland, and they don't even plan a line in the near future. They are planning one to Mulhouse, which isn't far from Basel, in the next 20 years. Sometimes they call a train or route TGV if it is part of the way, so perhaps that's the case. The closest TGV line to Switzerland is the one going down through Lyon.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:29 PM

I have TGV tickets for Paris-Geneva next week. It takes 3 hours and 22 minutes. I don't understand what is meant by "TGV doesn't go into Switzerland". What am I missing?
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 06:50 PM

The TGV train itself will go to Switzerland, but only on older slower rail lines so you're only getting there as fast as a regular train. It takes two parts to make a "real" highspeed rail experience the TGV train and the special rail beds.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:37 PM

TGV trains are travelling between Switzerland and Paris on 3 different routes:

1. Geneva - Paris
2. Lausanne - Paris
3. Zurich - Bern - Paris

The Geneva - Paris line ist the fastest route to Paris, but inconvenient for most parts od Switzerland. On the other lines, the TGV trains don't use high-speed, but slow "classic" lines for most part of the journey, but of course you have to pay the expensive TGV supplements.

The alternative is the Basel - Paris line. There are 5 trains during the day and one night train. If you want some comfort, you should book a sleeping car and not a (cheap) couchette car.

The 15.15 train is generally very crowded on sundays, be sure to book you seats ahead and/or think about taking 1st class.

In Basel there are several hotels around the station square, if you prefere one in the city centre, dozens of unfriendly and expensive taxi-frivers will be happy to do the 5-min-ride. The tram is cheaper. It should be possible to book hotels online now: www.baseltourismus.ch