Notices

Paris Shopping Question

Old May 11th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paris Shopping Question

I am thinking of possibly making a splurge purchase on my upcoming visit to Paris. I would love to buy a designer pocketbook or wallet but am wondering whether it pays considering the poor exchange rate. I live in the NYC area so I have access to all the same designer stores here. If the purchase price in Paris is the same, or even more, I would not bother. Can I look forward to saving a little at a store like LV or Chanel, or should I just stick to the museums and forget about shopping?
Old May 11th, 2005, 03:56 AM
ira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi J,

>...should I just...forget about shopping?<

An excellent idea.

Old May 11th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ira doesn't do much purse-shopping...
Neither do I, but here is a thread from people who do:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34556014
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, why not simply work things out when you're there? If it's cheaper then buy it, there's no point planning in advance for something like this.

That said, perhaps you can pick up something unique at Collette's if that sort of thing appeals to you. As for LV, and Chanel, I'd be surprised if NYC doesn't carry everything worth having.
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've bought my husband a few things at LV in Paris and the prices were less than they were in the U.S. AND London. But not by much. You're not going to make any grand savings. Also, two of the things I bought him were NOT available in the U.S. and one wasn't even available in London except on order. However, you will find all the standard stuff in New York.
I've been to Collette's and frankly, wasn't all that impressed. The store is overhyped.
P.S. If you get peckish while you're shopping on the Avenue Montaigne, stop in to Bar du Theatre near the end of the street across from the Plaza Athenee Hotel. It's a lively little hangout for the locals and staff from the designer shops up and down the Avenue. also that hangout for the chauffeurs to the celebs and fashionistas staying at the PA--keep your ears open and you'll hear some juicy gossip! Friendly waiters (once, the table I was seated at was unbalanced, one leg shorter than the other; the waiter gave me a free glass of wine in apology, then laughed and asked if I was so hungry that I had to start eating the table), unpretentious atmosphere and good French comfort food. One fashion mag editor says they make some of the the best tartare in town (not my dish, so I don't know), but they do a good poulet roti with mashed potatoes!
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Jeangail,
Whether it is a "splurge" or a moderate purchase, it is always a treat to bring home something special from your trip to Paris. I make it a point to buy a handbag. The exchange rate can indeed limit your choice, but the fun is finding something that we don't have in NYC , which is not that hard. I bought a Gucci bag at GL one year that has never shown up in the US stores. I bought a jacket in the Marais that I have never seen in a US store and people still ask me where I got it..
I find it impossible to "forget about shopping" in Paris, because as you walk down the street to the museum or church or park, you pass dozens of shops! How can you not look in the window? How can you not step inside just one ? or four..
LV and Chanel will still cost a fortune, look in the boutiques here and there..have fun!!
Please come back and tell us (me) what you bought