Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need help from my PARIS SHOPPING BUDDIES!

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everybody!

During my shop-till-you-drop spell in Paris this June, I would like to find a great pair of pants for my husband.

Trying to find a hip French designer -- especially a brand/name that I cannot find in NYC.

He's not into conservative clothes, but nicely cut is a must. Maybe there's a French version of the brand JOSEPH, for instance?

Thanks a million,
Betty

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:32 AM

I don't know a French brand like Joseph, but there are two Joseph shops (that I know of); in the Rue Faubourg St Honore and in the Avenue Montaigne.
Otherwise maybe Kenzo? The shop on Place Victoire is nice. Zegna make nice pants for men, but this may be too conservative (and it's Italian of course).
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Ooh...Kenzo. That sounds like a good idea. Tulips: Have you bought anything there before or shopped there?

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 03:52 PM

I'm a fan of agnes b, but she has a boutique on Greene Sreet in Soho.

Warning -- her clothes are made for slim people. But I remember reading somewhere that her clothes are for people who don't want to wear designer labels (something paradoxical like that).

I'd suggest that you visit her store in Soho and see if her stuff is to your liking. There're at least two Paris locations, one on r. du Jour and another on r. du Vieux Colombier.

Other brands that you can't find as easily in NYC (I think): Thierry Mugler (sp?), also near Place des Victoires, and the reclusive Martin Margiela. Margiela is not French, but he has a flagship store in Paris that I've been wanting to visit but haven't.

But really, even Jeffreys in the Meatpacking District and Barneys will stock these and other designers (well, maybe not Mugler, but certainly Margiela, and even Dries van Noten).

Personally I think that if you try hard enough it's possible to find all the best known designers in NYC, so my suggestion would be that you visit some of these stores and do some research and see what catches your fancy. The selections in Paris may be greater, and you'll also be able to see the prices are cheaper there.

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 11:07 PM

I've been to the Kenzo shops on Place Victoires and on Ave Georges IV, but only for the women's clothes. My husband likes the shirts and ties.
But I really cannot think of a label that you would not be able to find in NYC. I live in Belgium, but the selection of Belgian designers they have at Barneys is hard to beat.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 03:18 AM

By the way, do you know a store called Seize sur Vingt on Elizabeth in NYC? If not, also visit that store to see if there's anything you like.

I've only bought one shirt from them, but I visit once in a while. It's an interesting store, and their shirts have barely increased in price in four years. I don't know about their pants -- but they stock these, and ties, sweaters, etc.

I also recommend the New York Magazine Best Shops series -- they put these out twice (?) a year and you can research all the shops listed and then investigate shops in Paris.

I don't especially like Kenzo or Joseph, I must say.

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, 111op and tulips! We are staying in the Marais district, so there should also be some interesting men's boutiques in the nabe.

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 03:49 AM

In the Marais, check out L'Eclaireur. The men's store is on r. Malher. There's a women's store as well (I forget where since I don't shop there -- I don't crossdress ).

It's a standard Paris recommendation.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:15 AM

L'Eclaireur in the Marais is worth a visit. There is always the "latest and the greatest" there for Men. Plus, the store is a fun place to see & shop in. The owners now have a few different stores in the Marais area(sorry, can't remember all of the names) but each of their stores are interesting to visit.If you do go there, be sure to take a card with the addresses of their other stores, each one has different merchandise.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Guys!