where to buy fabric in London?

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to buy fabric in London?

I saw the thread on buying fabric in Paris; anyone have suggestions on where I buy fabric -- both upholstery fabric and dress fabric -- in London? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 03:34 AM

It's very tempting to answer Paris.

The John Lewis department store in Oxford Street is where most people start.

And there's a row of them along Berwick Street in Soho.

But dressmaking isn't a big pastime among the British
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:15 AM

Go to all the major department stores, Harrods and Liberty have a good selection.

I find what I like and then buy from the manufacturer directly. You can probably buy all high quality fabrics in America - Paul Smith's range you might not be able to purchase, but any other ones you can.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:39 AM

For upholstery fabric, nearly all major manufacturers are present at Chelsea Harbour. I think this is officially meant to be for trade, but I went there several times when I was redecorating.
For accessories such as ribbons, tassels etc, there is a great shop called VV Rouleaux. They used to be behind Peter Jones, but I don't know where they moved to.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Tulips, last I went to VV Rouleaux it was at 54 Sloane Square and I got sidetracked at the General Trading Company (great housewares store).

Here's the website for the Chelsea Harbour

http://www.chelsea-harbour.co.uk/static/homepage.stm

Louiseee, if you're American or Canadian, the exchange rate doesn't make buying fabric (or much else for that matter #39;( very appealing.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 08:44 AM

VV Rouleaux also has a newer outlet on Marleybone High Street.
I could spend hours in one of their shops. But a warning... it's very expensive (esp. if you're Canadian) and like me, you might end up with stuff that was appealing in the shop, but which you have no idea what to do with once you get home!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Liberty for wonderful cotton lawn.
Judy
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Hi Louiseee,
I'm not into dressmaking but like to buy odd bits of fabric and love wool etc. It's all so very expensive, but Liberty is THE place to go for that special bit of fabric to bring home. I have hauled out the wool I bought at Liberty and plan on spending the next few weeks in front of the TV watching Wimbledon and knitting something nice
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now have to hope my daughter won't mind spending time watching me drool over fabric (but, after all these years she is used to that). I know the exchange rate makes this not very practical but I usually discover so much more interesting material than I can find at home. Your ideas have me really looking forward to this.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 02:41 AM

I've also heard that Petticoat Lane is very good for fabrics (although it's not a personal hobby so can't confirm this) and it will definitely be a lot cheaper than department stores (though not as glam and impressive). It may be a good opportunity to visit Brick Lane and Spitalfields market at the same time.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:08 AM

Definitely Berwick Street. The Silk Society, Borovicks and the place (I cant recall name) 2 doors down from there is great - I bought some lovely beaded lace from there two days ago.