Paris: rainfall in Oct and the Eiffel

Sep 28th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Paris: rainfall in Oct and the Eiffel

I'd been planning our family trip for 2 months now. Somehow, I guess I was too busy with the details that I overlooked the fact that October is a wet month! My guide book shows average days of rainfall historically by month and somehow October didn't jump out as very wet. How rainy is October? I'm beginning to panic as I had planned a two-day bus tour (riding at the top of course), boat tours, 3 days in Disneyland and parks!

As for the Eiffel Tower: is there a chance that the queues would be manageable in October or should I still be there by 8:30 before it opens to beat the crowd?
Sep 28th, 2007, 06:30 AM

The Eiffel Tower is gorgeous at dusk/early evening, which is when many people line up for it. You might have to wait an hour, but I'd say it's worth it. Just note when they close and when sunset is. I would try not to get there too late.

Rain is hard to predict. September is one of the best months to go to Paris, weather-wise, and I've been lucky the times I've been there. You might get dry weather in October. Just have to cross your fingers. I'm going to Italy in October and crossing my fingers for good weather, too, but you never know...
Sep 28th, 2007, 06:49 AM

If someone asked me what the weather would be like in my home town next month, I'd be stumped. It will probably rain, I do remember we had snow once, sometimes the temperature goes below freezing at night, but I've also experienced stretches of shirt sleeve weather....

Which goes to say, it could be anything. I was in paris last november, I brought a fall jacket, at it was really hot, but poured first day I was there. Also I was there in December, and it rained (more misted) every day.

So...bring a jacket, but apart from generalities, it would be hard to predict what this October, on your exact days, will be like. I bought an umbrela at Monoprix last time, since I do'nt like cluttering luggage with items I can easily buy there if required.

Books can predict...but I'd go to a weather website just before going to get a 5 day prediction.
Sep 28th, 2007, 07:05 AM

I (honestly) don't get questions like this one. So what if it does rain? Unless it is a monsoon I don't see an issue. I enjoy walking in the rain. And if there is a shower while you are on the open top buses - they hand out plastic ponchos. I take an umbrella on every trip (even in the summer) because it takes almost no room in the suitcase. I've been to Disneyland in Anaheim in the rain, and Disneyland in Paris when it was about 50F - and both were great. In fact I LOVE Disneyland in the rain since there are no crowds/long lines.

relax - you won't melt in the rain and if it is wet - it probably won't be wet all day every day.
Sep 28th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Janisj, the concern regarding the wet weather was not for me but for my kids. I don't want them cold/chilled and therefore get sick.
Sep 28th, 2007, 08:44 AM

The weather is very variable in Paris - i've been there a lot in October and it usually does not rain all the time and may not rain on your parade at all

as for Eiffel i wouldn't worry too much about lines in October and in late afternoon there may be short IME
Sep 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM

OK - I guess I'm still missing something. If you are dressed for the rain - won't the kids be dressed the same? Children live in rainy climates all over the world and survive just fine.

If it rains it probably won't be every day. But even if it does - there isn't bad weather, just bad clothing/footwear choices. (not original - but true)
Sep 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Well, I sure know the weather in my own hometown during October. October is one of the rainier months in Paris, but it doesn't really vary that much from the driest to wettest month, in comparison to some places. The most precipitation is in May, July and Aug, followed by Sept, Jan and Nov, and then Oct and Dec. are about the same. But there is some precipitation to some degree more days in Nov-Jan than any other time of year. So it's not the worst, about in the middle, and nothing you can do about it anyway. It rains a lot in Paris all year. Average monthly inches are about 2 every month from September through January. I have some older stats, don't know if they are accurate now that says it rains about 13 days of the month in October at least .01 inches, but that is true for quite a few months.
Sep 28th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

My concern is that I had planned a lot of outdoor activities which we may not be able to do if it rains a lot which seems to happen in October a lot. While it also rains where I live (and it rains a lot), I prefer to keep my kids off the rain. To each his own.

It may not rain everyday in Paris but my family won't be there every day of October.
Sep 28th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Weekender

You should absolutely cancel your trip.

Sep 28th, 2007, 09:13 AM

I'm expecting rain this year, contrary to most years when the weather is excellent in October. But we haven't had a good month since April.
Sep 28th, 2007, 10:02 AM

We've been in Paris in March, April, May, Sept, and October since 1996 and it hasn't rained one solid day during any of those visits. At most, a good drizzle managed by a lovely plastic rain poncho and umbrella. Take an extra pair of shoes for each person so you have a dry pair to wear while those that got rained on dry out.