Search

Paris in October: too rainy? too cold?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris in October: too rainy? too cold?

hello all;

I am going to Paris next Sept. or October and was wondering about the weather. I dont need hot, but dont want to get endless rain or too cold. What do you think would be too late to avoid this?

(of course acknowledging that you can never guarantee the weather )

Thanks!

Pat
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 01:32 PM
ira

Hi J,

The whole month of Sept is a nice time to go. The first half of Oct is not quite as nice, but still some good weather.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 01:42 PM

There is absolutely no way of telling -- average weather is simply that -- Average. There are all sorts of highs/lows, rain/clear days mixed into those averages. Normally Sept is warmer than Oct - but they often have "Indian Summers" with nice weather in Oct - and sometimes even in Nov.

The Fall is "generally" a wonderful time to visit Paris -- but you could just as easily have early storms or late heat. Just book your tickets and enjoy.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 01:51 PM

I've experienced some lousy weather in Paris in every season, the weather is quite often fickle
I've almost frozen and been drenched in late May, and I've found it balmy in October. But then again, not.

for historical weather info, see www.wunderground.com
but as others said, you can't really tell
Paris is wonderful in any weather
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Don't know who said this first, but I love it: "There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only inappropriate clothing."

Besides, it never rains in the Louvre. Or Notre Dame. Or in the cafes, or...!
Like the previous poster said, book your trip and have a ball.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 03:04 PM

I have visited in the second week of October. The first two days were balmy and absolutely warm. As the previous poster said, it was an 'Indian summer'. But from the third day and the successive two days, it rained and turned pretty cold.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 04:04 PM

Hello Joey:

We were in France including Paris for 19 days in late October/early November of this year. Average temp. 57 F, zero rain. A little windy in Normandy. I hope that pattern repeats for you. Gradyghost
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 04:10 PM

I have to agree with the previous posters that when traveling to Paris in Sept. or October or any other time for that matter you have to allow for a variety of weather. I was in Paris the end of October this year and saw a wild swing in weather. I was so cold one day I thought I would never get warm (I had just spent three hours outside in the Montparnasse cemetary) and the next day I was shedding layers of clothing. I loved every minute of my time there and the weather shouldn't stop you from enjoying the city. There's lots of good advice in past posts about packing and planning for different seasons of the year in Paris to help you. I even was able to talk to someone in Paris the day before I left who had said she hadn't needed a coat yet in October. Things sure changed two days later but thanks to this forum I was prepared Deborah
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 04:17 PM

We're going in October 2005 too...in September we will be in Normandy and other spots. Anyway, I am worried abou weather too but I will make sure I have layered clothing that I can discard at will. We're already looking at clothing...
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 04:54 PM

Yes, there is really no way to know...however we were in Paris the first week in Nov. this year and it was gorgeous! The leaves were turning lovely colors and falling, the air fresh and crisp, and not a drop of rain. ..in the 50's and 60's.
It COULD rain more in Oct, but who knows. You really can't go wrong with FAll travel in Europe Sept or Oct, and for us even Nov or Dec.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:05 PM

I LOVE Paris in the fall
We always go in late October or November and have only had rain once or twice..the weather is perfect for all the walking and sightseeing, cool/chilly nights, no a/c needed in hotels with no a/c
I don't even think I would mind Paris if it DID rain everyday..sigh ~
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:10 PM

We were in Paris a couple of years ago for the last 2 wks of October, first week of November. The tourists were thinned out. Days were mild to very cold and it rained probably 1/3 of the time...we even had sleet late one afternoon. I loved being there at that time!

The plane trees were bright yellow. As their leaves fell in the rain, the Paris streets were paved with gold in the soft light of the streetlamps. When it rains, the little streets glimmer and reflect the bright storefronts. It's especially beautiful at night...the entire city glitters. Many establishments had fires lit against the chill.

We wore boots almost every day and they kept our feet dry and toasty warm. Take a waterproof coat, buy a warm scarf from a street vendor, and plan your museum visits for the rainy days. It's a lovely time to be in Paris.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 05:23 PM

I've been to Paris twice in October. The first time we had perfect weather, sunny and in the 60s. The second time it was cooler (in the 50s) and drizzly. I had a wonderful time both trips and would definitely go in October again.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 06:16 PM

Paris in October: "I've seen fire and I've seen rain. I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end......."

Who knows? Go and be prepared.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Just to add my two cents... this year I was in Paris in the last week of September and most of the days it was quite warm.. didn't even wear a jacket.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 06:53 PM

I was in Paris the last 2 weeks of October in 2001, and the weather was perfect for sightseeing, needed just a light jacket, and a raincoat maybe once or twice. I was told that the first part of October that year was cold and rainy. Guess you just never know - be prepared for anything, but hope for the best.
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 07:00 PM

We were in Paris towards the end of October this year. It was cold most of the time, but didn't get any rain. Oh, and I live in NYC, so I have some idea of what cold is.

In response to your question. "What do you think would be too late to avoid this?" - I really don't know, except for you to wear warm clothing. I ended up buying sweaters and a pair of gloves.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 03:47 AM

I agree with other posters, it's the luck of the draw.

We were there 22nd-25th October this year : it was very mild & only rained once, so briefly that we missed it. Part of the time it was sunny & warm enough to sit outside - we had lunch outside twice. We'd taken our Scottish coats & were far too warm in them - nobody else was wearing a coat, just light jackets & sweaters.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 04:21 AM

There is no way to know. We have gone several times in October. One time it rained every day. This year we had 7 days of sunshine and clear skies. Just go and enjoy.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks to all of you for sharing your weather experiences; I will be prepared for it all and know I will love my time there; if only I could close my eyes and jump forward to next Sept.!

Pat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -