Paris or Polynesia? Paris won.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Unofficial Guide to Paris waiting at my place at the dinner table last night confirmed it.

My wife has never been to Paris and it's been many years for me. Her vision is sidewalk cafes, picnics in parks, bistros, and romantic dinners in small, quaint restaurants. I'm okay with all of that as long as it's accompanied by a decent bottle of wine, and atmosphere is not too formal. Will $200 - $250 per day (food/wine budget) get us there?

Or should I be thinking about Polynesia again?
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 02:44 PM

No problem! It seems from your post that didn't count hotels and transportation or entry fees.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Iza

Beachbum, that seems like a generous budget for wining and dining!
Anyway, I was intrigued by your question because my husband and I had been planning a trip to French Polynesia for August of this year to celebrate our upcoming 10th anniversary . For various reasons we ended up not realizing our plans but rather went on a family trip to Costa Rica. While we love Costa Rica, I was a bit disappointed that we wouldn't be in a romantic locale for our anniversary which actually is not until December.
So we have decided to go to Paris for Thanksgiving and I just bought our plane tickets today! Paris won.....
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:30 PM

beachbum, if you want romantic dinners in small, quaint restaurants, that budget is very generous, you can actually do it for less. My husband & I were in Paris last Sept and had wonderful dinners in the type of restaurant you mention. We spent about $80-$150 for dinner, and nice lunches in cafes ranged from $20-25 for both of us (although that did not include wine at lunch). Dinners were generally 2 courses, wine, plus 1 dessert.

A few suggestions:
Chez Maitre Paul, rue Monsier Prince in the 6th.
Les Bookinistes, Quai St. Augustines in the 6th along the river.
La Fermette Marbeuf, rue Marbeuf in the 8th (their Grand Marnier Souffle dessert is to die for!).
La Fontaine de Mars, I think rue St. Dominique, in the 7th.

Of course, you can spend a lot more at some of the high-end places, but they don't necessarily match my idea of romantic and quaint. Enjoy!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and recommendations (Susan). Seems that the food/wine part of a Paris trip is the most difficult to get your arms around budgetwise, so it's nice to know we're in the ballpark.

Iza, coincidentally Costa Rica will probably be our next beach destination. French Poly is easily our favorite, but we want to try something different. And BTW, French Poly is as romantic as you think it is. Hope you make it there someday. Congrats on your anniversary, and have a great time in Paris.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 10:02 AM

Susan P's suggestions are great. We ate at Bookinistes and Fontaine de Mars in late May - both were great. Two other favorites in the same price range are Bastide d'Odeon at 7, rue Corneille, in the 6th and L'Epi Dupin at 11, rue Dupin, also in the 6th. Delicious food, wonderful wine and a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere at all four. All of these restaurants are small so it's a good idea to make reservations.