Quaint town or village near Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Edinburgh for a few days in December and would like to see a quaint little Scottish village rather than spend the whole time in a large city. Since time is limited I'd rather not have to travel more than an hour or two on a train or bus. Also, is the "Highlands" area anywhere nearby? Any suggestions? Thank you.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 03:52 PM

You might enjoy South Queensferry to the West of Edinburgh. It is accessible by bus, but I cannot recall the bus number off hand. You can see an old fashioned high street and take a boat out to an island in the Firth of Forth and go under the famous Firth of Forth rail bridge. In summer there is also a boat that goes out to visit the seals on the rocks.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 08:33 PM

Lin Lithgow is nearby and, while you won't see things like thatched roofs (what I think of when someone says "quaint&quot, you will see a sweet little town with narrow winding streets and small cafes full of locals. Also, Lin Lithgow palace, which is where Mary, Queen of Scots was born. It's in ruins, but you can tour it. It sits on the edge of the most beautiful lake with black swans.

That said, if you'll only be in Edinburgh for "a few days," I promise you that you'll have enough to do in town to keep you busy and happy. Don't think of it as a "large city." It's lovely and full of history.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:56 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You must first promise not to use that word. No offense intended, but it's a trigger phrase for many.

The Highlands comprise a big area; in an hour or two you can get from Edinburgh into the nearest portions of the Highlands, but in December, and using public transportation, you won't have much time before it starts getting dark and you have to turn around, assuming you don't want to overnight. If you do intend to stay over, then your choices increase significantly.

There are several attractive small towns within reach of Edinburgh: Dunbar on the coast east of the city, Dirleton, Gullane and North Berwick on the way, or Gifford inland.

North and west, two wonderful historic villages come to mind, although they may be a bit hard to get to without a car - Falkland (historic palace) and Culross, a fabulous restored coastal village on the River Forth. South Queensferry has already been mentioned, and that would also be a good choice for an afternoon.

You also might want to explore Edinburgh's own "villages" within the city boundaries. Cramond, located in the northwest corner of the city, is a wonderful old village that the city gobbled up earlier last century, but still has great ambience, an okay pub/restaurant, Roman ruins, and a fine coastal path on the other side of the River Almond, great for a winter's walk. On the far side of Holyrood (Queen's) Park from the castle is the community of Duddingston, a very sweet little neighborhood that still has a village feel - nice small Duddingston Loch, and one of the better bars in town - the Sheep's Heid. Great place on a dreary winter's day.

Portobello is Edinburgh's seaside "village" with beach and seafront shops, etc. - can be a bit bleak in winter but atmospheric nonetheless.

Finally, especially if the weather's okay, head up to Swanston at the toe of the Pentland Hills. Robert Louis Stevenson lived here; the thatched cottages are lovely to look at and the winter walking in the hills behind the village, with the city and Firth spread out below, is about as good as it gets. You won't feel like you're in a big city at all.

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:59 AM

Sorry about the Great. I thought Fodors had re-enabled HTML coding. Nope, just s. So .
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Which word is a trigger phrase?
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 08:34 AM

Gardyloo: thanks for bringing up the "quaint" issue. I did that once and was really jumped on so I let it go this time. "Quaint" is just so "Twee"

krpp75: I agree with the recommendations of Falkland, Dirleton or Culross - Dollar might also be a good choice because of Castle Campbell and the village and academy.

The only problem w/ Falkland is getting there - don't know much about the local bus service since I usually have a car.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 01:43 PM

I'm with Gardyloo in that I would pick one of the East Lothian villages on the train line (How many of the rest of you Scots had to learn the order by rote?-
Edinburgh, Leith
Portobello, Mussleburgh and DALkeith!)

krpp75, I have a document for train based day trip with reaches the "Highlands". Email me if you want me to send it to you.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 03:50 PM

Or...
Musselburgh was a burgh when Edinburgh was nane, and Musselburgh shall be a burgh when Edinburgh is gane...
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:05 PM

I hadn't heard that. It's great too.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:16 PM

As regards East Lothian, I don't think I'd recommend Dalkeith or Musselburgh as a day trip destination... North Berwick + trip round the Bass Rock on the boat + fish & chips by the beach for lunch is always fun. Easy to get to by train from Edinburgh. (But I don't think anyone could consider it a "quaint little Scottish village".)
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:40 PM

No, hanl, you're right.

I'm really thinking Dirleton, Dunbar, North Berwick, Aberlady, Gullane....places like that
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:41 AM

Ahem, Dalkeith is in Midlothian.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 08:14 AM

"Quaint" tends to be regarded as an insult in the countryside anywhere in the UK or Ireland.

People feel that when they or their homes are regarded as quaint, it implies that they exist solely to entertain tourists, as if they were props at Disneyworld. They tend to hate that word, and being overheard using it would not endear you to the local residents.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 08:20 AM

Gardyloo, you're right of course. And I wouldn't call it quaint either.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Surprised no-one has mentioned St Andrews. Beautiful beach that featured in 'Chariots of Fire' the film about Olympic runner; famous golf course, ancient University and student of the year, prince William!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 10:37 AM

It's beautiful, as are all the other East Neuk fishing villages; but it/they are not on the train line, and the places we're recommending are closer.