Search

Edinburgh for weekend-getaway

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:45 AM
hsv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh for weekend-getaway

I'll be travelling to Edinburgh for a quick weekend getaway and unfortunately have not been able to prepare myself properly yet due to a huge amount of work at the office.

I'd welcome any suggestions of what to see, where to go and where to dine in casual but nice surroundings with some good food.

I'd be interested to see as much of the city as possible while I would not necessarily focus on museums during summer.

Your help is appreciated!
hsv
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Can you give us a couple of itty bitty clues? When will you arrive? When will you leave? And what do you like?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:14 PM

I would stay in the old town section of Edinburgh...most of the sites are in that direction. Edinburgh castle and the museums are great. Check out the Royal MacGreggor - great little pub on the main thoroughfare of old town, great pub food.

If you can't find a room in the Old Town, I stayed in a small inn called Inverleith hotel - it's a bit of a walk - maybe 15 minutes into the center of town, but it's right by some really nice gardens, and it's on a bus line into city center, if you don't want to walk.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:09 PM
hsv
Original Poster

Thanks so much already for taking your time to reply. I guess I need to elaborate a bit.
We'll be coming over for the British Open tournament at St. Andrews the next weekend.
Accomodation is already taken care of - we'll be staying at the St. Andrews Bay Resort, which as I realize is out of town. But I shall have a rental car.
As I am a golf enthusiast, but still think four days will be a bit much just watching the players, I would like to throw in some sightseeing in Edinburgh.
I'd like to see Edinburgh Castle. I do enjoy architecture (modern and classic) and would think that I am a fairly open-minded person - unless it involves too much shopping.
Hope this clarifies things a bit.
Have a great weekend, everybody!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM

OK, so it's day trips TO Edinburgh not a couple of days there.

1. Take the train- don't drive. You have to get to Leuchars to get the train, but driving IN Edinburgh is a nightmare (well, actually, parking is the nightmare), and the commuter traffic is pretty not good too.

2. I think a good day would be to go the length of the Mile. You have all the mediaeval stuff plus the castel, and with a small diversion, the Museum of Scotland, which I'm recommending not qua museum (although it's pretty good), but qua architecture. The Hub, at the top of the Mile just below the castle is a nice place to lunch.

At the bottom, apart from Holyrood Palace, is the new parliament, which is stunning. Try to forget the money stuff and just think of the design.

So, you have Castle, Whisky centre, Hub, Deacon Brodie's, St Giles's cathedral, Parliament Square- sideways to the Museum, John Knox's House, parliament, palace; and if you have any energy left, walk through the park and up Arthur's Seat
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:42 PM
KT

During nice weather, if you like that sort of thing there's also the Botanic Gardens, which I love. Not too far from the center, with nice views as well as wonderful gardens.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 09:57 PM
hsv
Original Poster

Thank you so much for helping out here! Those suggestions are very welcome and sound like a lot of fun. Looking forward to that trip even a bit more.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 09:44 AM
hsv
Original Poster

Thank you everybody once more. Having returned already a while ago, I have finally managed to finish my trip report which I just posted here in case it should be of interest to anyone around here.
It can be accessed at
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=5&start=0