Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris on New Year's Day: looking for ideas (what's open) and warnings about closures

Search

Paris on New Year's Day: looking for ideas (what's open) and warnings about closures

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we'll be in Paris for a few days around New Year's and I'm trying to figure out what our options will be on New Year's Day. Should we expect basically nothing to be open as far as food goes and stock up on bread and cheese the day before, or will we be able to find some open places? Are markets open (I doubt it) on this day?

I have done some research on museum/monument closures (we only have 4 days), and it looks like our best bet will be to visit Montmarte on that day, as nothing we will want to visit will be open besides the Marmottan and Dali museums in the 16th (if this is inaccurate please let me know. Plus, that's a neighborhood that sounds fun to walk around without necessarily going into museums etc. Does anyone know if Sacre-Coeur is closed for special events on that day? (Not that I'm dying to see it inside, it's a pretty awful building, but we may as well if we're up there anyway).

Thanks for any help!
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

PS--I've seen the Paris tourism office website listing of openings. Mainly am wondering about food. It's our last day in Paris, and it would be nice to have dinner in a nice place somewhere.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 12:41 PM

Can't help you with what will be open, but you definitely want to go inside Sacre Coeur. I'm not sure why you think it's ugly, I thought it was beautiful from the bottom of the hill with the bright blue sky behind it. Anyway, inside are beautiful mosaics and the design in the main dome is gorgeous.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Come on, Parisiens! A little help here.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 08:24 AM

Hello,

You're right about the Marmottan, but the Dalí space is in Montmartre, on rue Poulbot. I'd definitely stock up on food, because most shops will be closed. For dinner, though, try Wepler on Place de Clichy. An even safer bet is Bofinger (Bastille metro), as it'll be open on NY. I think you can even make reservations online.

Good luck.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 08:19 AM

Hi, We were in Paris on New Year's two years ago and Montmarte was where we headed for the day and found plenty of things to do. Sacre-Coeur was open and in fact as we climbed the hill we came upon a parade with those Shriner's clowns, marching bands and confetti spitting canons. It was strangely fitting for the day and the neighborhood. We did not have any trouble finding places to eat for lunch in that area and we had stocked up previously for dinner that night. We will be in Paris again this year for Christmas and New Years and are thinking about going back to explore that area again on New Year's Day.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the responses. Montmatre it is.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 09:01 AM

I read an online "magazine" at
"metropoleparis.com". They've posted all the city's "doings" for the holidays
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Ah, what memories. Years ago, DH and I took a pre-wedding honeymoon to Paris the week after Christmas. We had also heard that little would be open New Year's Day, so on New Year's Eve we stocked up on sandwiches and pastries. Well, we ended up staying out till 4 am on NYE so we slept in and didn't leave our hotel until 4 pm on NY day...by then it was nearing dusk. We went to Sacre Coeur and watched the lights of the city come on and ate the food we'd bought...as I recall, the best eclair I've ever eaten. We also went inside the church and sat through a NY church service.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Tat

Go-Today.com will tell you about Holiday closings when searching for the Hotel.