Paris on New Year's Day

Search

Paris on New Year's Day

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris on New Year's Day

Does anyone have suggestions on what to see and do on New Year's Day in Paris?

Are most restaurants closed that day too? I did a "search" and didn't come up with much. I'll probably be in the 7th district.

Thanks.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Check out the Holidays in Paris ongoing thread over on bonjourparis.com for a start, especially closer to the time.

Some restaurants will be closed because of the New Year's Eve Reveillons (festive dinners that go on into the wee hours). But you're always safe going to a hotel restaurant on holidays; they have to be open for their guests.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Underhill for the suggestion. Maybe I should consider staying at a hotel that has a restaurant as an option just in case none are open nearby.
I am guessing that Paris is pretty quiet on New Year's Day? It would be a nice time to go for a walk or so. I think museums are closed so what else would there to do except to stay in the room and watch TV and call home?
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:55 PM

New Year's Day isn't as big a holiday in France as it is here. You may find some museums open, and quite a few restaurants as well--including some in the museums.

Have a look at the Paris museums web site for specific information:

http://www.paris.org/Musees/MNMF/info.html

You don't need to stay in your hotel room and watch TV--go out to one of the many movie theaters and look for an English or American film shown in "VO," "version original," to find one with an English sound track if you want.

The 7th is a lovely area for just wandering if the weather is good. It's also fun to go over to the 8th and look in the decorated windows of the big department stores.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

No, I wasn't serious about staying in and watching TV - especially not CNN to hear the latest depressing stories! For sure I'll go out and take a walk even if it snows.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 08:01 PM

You could also go ice-skating over by the Hôtel de Ville.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 06:19 AM

Ah, what memories that question brings back! In 1989 my husband and I were in Paris the week after Christmas. We had heard that almost everything would be closed on New Years Day, so we stocked up on supplies (e.g. plenty of pastries) the day before. Well, we spent a very very fun New Years Eve in the Latin Quarter and stayed up almost till dawn. We did not emerge from our hotel room untl 4 the next afternoon! We went up to Sacre Cour to watch the sunset, then sat in on a service there and pretty much called it a day!

The moral of the story: If you celebrate NYE properly, you won't have to worry much about what to do the next day.